Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

  1. #1
    pewe
    Guest

    Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

    What is the easiest way to 'empty' cells in Excel.

    I have a large spreadsheet full of numeric values. If the value is '0' I
    need to remove it to empty the cell.

    What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    re: Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

    Probably Edit-->Replace, and make sure you hit the Options button and choose
    "Match entire cell contents". Put a 0 in the Find box, and don't put
    anything in the replace with box, and hit Replace all.
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    pewe
    Guest

    re: Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

    Thanks Anne.

    I was expecting something more complex (such as a formula) and never thought
    to use such a simple solution.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Jai
    Guest

    re: Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

    I am assuming that you want to suppress the display of 0s in cells. Go to
    Tools - Options and click view tab. Remove the check in the display zero
    value check box.
    This is displayed in Excel help under "Display or hide Zero Values"

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    re: Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

    A formula cannot empty a cell, it can create an empty string.

    The other consideration here is if the zero was from a formula
    you will be wiping out the formula so the cell will not show a value
    if the referenced cell later change their value.

    You have another reply suggesting hiding zero values by means
    of the Tools, options. Which means you will not be able to
    distinguish a manually entered zero from an empty cell.

    Rather than changing all worksheets in all workbooks to hide
    zeros, you might use a custom fromat where the third operand
    is empty -- you must include your separation character to show
    that it is to be missing;
    General;General;;@

    If you hide a value with a null string in a formula
    B34: =IF(A34=0,"",A34)
    you can not use it in
    an addition formula =A34+B34
    but you could ignore it using SUM Worksheet Function
    =SUM(A34,B34) or =SUM(A34:B34)
    Custom formatting cannot change the value, it changes the
    display so it would still have the zero and work arithmetically.
    ---
    HTH,

    "pewe" <[email protected]> wrote,..

  6. #6
    pewe
    Guest

    re: Removing '0's' in cells-What is the easiest way to empty these cells?

    Thanks for all your input.

    I have now managed to clear all the '0' cells (8000 of them) very quickly
    which has saved me a lot of work.

    Thanks again to all.