More Help Needed with Count formula

  1. #1
    Greegan
    Guest

    More Help Needed with Count formula

    I have a field in my worksheet where I want a check mark to appear. I've
    decided not to use the control boxes or whichever. I have used the letter
    "a" in the Font of Marlett. This appears as the check mark on the screen.

    I have copied the same sheet several times and I was given the formula
    =SUM(ClientA:ClientB!A1) in a previous help request which seems okay.
    I've been able to use that formula and used it as a COUNT for some other
    information I needed.

    The problem I'm having is that I cannot seem to count the number of checks
    in B166.

    I've tried in a cell where it just appears white on my screen so it doesn't
    print out... =IF(B166="","",IF((B166="a"),"1",B166))
    I've tried counting this cell and I've tried using SUM and nothing seems to
    work.

    Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: More Help Needed with Count formula

    You need to count the number of checks in B166.

    If B166 contains nothing it would be ""
    if B166 displays a single check it would contain "a"
    if B166 displays two checks it would contain "aa"
    if B166 displays three checks it would contain "aaa"

    Try using =LEN(B166) to give the count of checks in B166
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: More Help Needed with Count formula

    if you have the checkmarks in say A2:A34
    you can place the following formula in A35

    A35: =COUNTIF(a$2:OFFSET(A35,-1,0),"a")

    choice of checkmarks found in font tables
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/...bols.htm#ticks
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: More Help Needed with Count formula

    Okay I read it wrong but assuming that you could have other
    characters in that cell such as spaces you might try something
    for a count of the letter a in a cell.

    keeping in mind that SUBSTITUTE itself is case sensitive
    =len(a1)-len(substitute(a1,"a","")) — lettercase must match
    =len(a1)-len(substitute(upper(a1),"A","")) — insensitive to lettercase,
    but the case of the from in the argument must match that of the UPPER(target).

    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5
    Greegan
    Guest

    Re: More Help Needed with Count formula

    Would you believe it shows no length with =LEN(B166) but it will show "2" if
    the formula is =LEN(B166)+1