Lookup function still not working correctly

  1. #1
    Mike K
    Guest

    Lookup function still not working correctly

    Oh wise ones,
    I thought I had it, I really thought I had it this
    time. Ok, so I have my data as follows;

    B2 =Today() which as of right now is Sunday
    E2 =Lookup(Text(B2,"ddddd"),C7:I7,C8:I8) vector based
    C7:I7 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    C8:I8 C A A C C A A

    If B2 is "Sunday" and I7 contains "Sunday", should'nt E2 return "A" from I8?
    Why is it returning "C"?

    The equation builder shows "Sunday" for the lookup value. So I'm not sure
    whats wrong. I know B2 is really a whole number, but I thought the "TEXT"
    function in E2 was accounting for that. Please advise

    Thanks, Mike

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function still not working correctly

    Hi!

    Hey, I remember this!

    I don't know why that is happening!

    If you try this:

    =TEXT(B2,"ddddd")=I7

    It returns TRUE which means the lookup value matches SUNDAY in I7. ???

    Here's a different formula:

    =INDEX(C7:I7,MATCH(TEXT(B2,"ddddd"),C7:I7,0))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function still not working correctly

    Ooops!

    The new formula should be:

    =INDEX(C8:I8,MATCH(TEXT(B2,"ddddd"),C7:I7,0))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Rowan
    Guest

    RE: Lookup function still not working correctly

    I can't say why this isn't working for you, it seems ok to me. How about
    trying:

    =HLOOKUP(TEXT(B2,"ddddd"),C7:I8,2,0)

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function still not working correctly

    Another alternative:

  6. #6
    Mike K
    Guest

    Re: Lookup function still not working correctly

    Thanks Biff, Rowan.

    I got them both to work correctly.

    Thanks again,
    Mike