calculating a weighted average using formula

  1. #1
    bob green
    Guest

    calculating a weighted average using formula

    I have data from a series of studies in 2 columns of data (G1-G15) &
    (H1-H15).

    Column 1 = the number positive for an event in each study
    Column 2 = the sample size for each study

    I calculated a sum for column 1 & column 2 in G16 & H16 respectively.
    In addition I want to calculate the average and standard deviation.

    The following formula computes an average but I also need the
    standard deviation.

    =G16*100/H16

    Any assistance is appreciated.

    Bob

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: calculating a weighted average using formula

    Hi Bob,

    I guess for Standard Deviation you could use the function STDEV()

    I usually calculate the weighted average using the following formula:

    =SUMPRODUCT(G1:G15,H1:H15)/SUM(H1:H15)

    in your case could also be:

    =SUMPRODUCT(G1:G15,H1:H15)/H16

    Regards,