Nesting VLOOKUP functions

  1. #1

    Nesting VLOOKUP functions

    Hi,

    I have been struggling with the same problem since last week and really hope that someone can help me.

    My worksheet has three columns, the first is a material input, the second the temperature (T) input and the third is an equation (say y = mT +c). There are also 20 rows for different components.

    Each material has a different formula which is defined on a separate sheet. My problem is with using both the temperature and Material as inputs. I can reference the equations for each material but I can't get them for the different temperatures.

    I'm not sure whether (and how) to nest VLOOKUP functions or if there is a simplier solution.

    I hope that my explanation is clear and that some Guru may be able to help me! Thanks,

    CroatWonder

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Nesting VLOOKUP functions

    if you have the vlookup table for the material and its associated formula you
    could then have a separate cell for your temperature
    =vlookup(material,material table,2,false)*A1 where A! is your temperature
    and column 2 is your formulas....dont tell me that the formulas vary with
    temperature too!
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: Nesting VLOOKUP functions

    One solution is to CONCATINATE the various inputs to form a unique identifier
    that VLOOKUP can find. For example, say you want to lookup the price of
    tools: hammer, screwdriver, and drill. For each tool there is a price for
    new and a price for used. instead of trying to VLOOKUP {drill new} create
    drillnew by concatination.
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Hi guys,

    Thanks for answering so quickly.

    Paul, you hit the nail on the head, the formulae do vary with temperature!

    This is where my problem lies, that each component has a material, which has a corresponding general formula. But each component also has a temperature that I need to use in the general formula.

    So I need to apply a statement in each component specifying which general formula to use and which temperature. I just don't know how to do this, any ideas?

    Gary's Student, I have looked at the Concatinate function but I don't see how I can utilise it in this problem. Could you give me an example?

    Thanks again,

    CroatWonder

    Quote Originally Posted by paul

  5. #5
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Nesting VLOOKUP functions

    well i think what you need to do is have two tables.and in the formula column
    of your main table you have a vlookup formula for you temperature variable
    formula .This means of course that one of your lookup variables has to be
    temperature.So to lookup one of your materials you need to have an entry or
    choice of temperatures otherwise you cannot chhose the correct formula

  6. #6
    paul

  7. #7
    Gary's Student