Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

  1. #1
    Eve
    Guest

    Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one column of my
    worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date has its own
    unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change it back so
    that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

    I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    select the cell and in menu bar
    format-cells-number- dates
    choose any format you want.
    including mm/dd/yyyy

    mine excel 2000
    =====================

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Eve
    Guest

    Re: Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    I have been trying that and it doesn't work. The 5 digit numbers just remain
    there even though I choose the format for those cells to show the date with
    format of mm/dd/yy. It's like I somehow locked it or protected it and I
    can't undo it. Any other advice?

  4. #4
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    this is only a guess
    probably the cell was formatted as text. is the number on the leftside of
    the cell or on the right cell.

    try this . hope you succeed
    suppose the no.(?)(for e.g. 38548) is in cell a1 but in text format
    in some other cell type
    =A1+0
    then in the new cell the number will be in number format
    now format this as date
    you can then manouver

    try this in some other NEW sheet ALSO then you will know whether your sheet
    is protected or not

    --
    remove $$$ from email addresss to send email

    ==============================

  5. #5
    Eve
    Guest

    Re: Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    Okay, I tried that in a blank worksheet and it worked but when I tried that
    same formula in the worksheet that I'm having problems with, it only showed
    the actual formula (even after I tried to format it to the date). I guess
    the difference was in the blank worksheet, the number was only the number but
    in this worksheet, the number is actually corresponding to a date. What I
    don't understand is how in the heck did my dates change to those
    corresponding numbers? Each date has its own specific number. In other
    words, all dates of 7/1/05 have the number 38534 and all dates of 7/19/05
    have the number 38552, etc. When my curser is on a cell that had a date in
    it, it will show the accurate date in the fx or function line at the top of
    the screen but in the actual cell itself, it shows only the 5 digit number.
    From the beginning, I had always entered the data in date format. Any other
    suggestions?

    Also, I looked for

  6. #6
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    check the one of those cells and clik format and see in what format the cell
    is?
    was that offendig column already in number format. In that case when you
    enter a date it
    automatically converts to number
    I dont want to guess too much. I am not an expert but I have done similar
    mistakes and got out of it after much trial and error. . if you have no
    objection you can send a small portion of your spreadsheet including the
    "cultprit"column by email as attachment to me and we shall see what we
    together can do.

    --
    remove $$$ from email addresss to send email

    Eve <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Okay, I tried that in a blank worksheet and it worked but when I tried

    that
    > same formula in the worksheet that I'm having problems with, it only

    showed
    > the actual formula (even after I tried to format it to the date). I guess
    > the difference was in the blank worksheet, the number was only the number

    but
    > in this worksheet, the number is actually corresponding to a date. What I
    > don't understand is how in the heck did my dates change to those
    > corresponding numbers? Each date has its own specific number. In other
    > words, all dates of 7/1/05 have the number 38534 and all dates of 7/19/05
    > have the number 38552, etc. When my curser is on a cell that had a date

    in
    > it, it will show the accurate date in the fx or function line at the top

    of
    > the screen but in the actual cell itself, it shows only the 5 digit

    number.
    > From the beginning, I had always entered the data in date format. Any

    other

  7. #7
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

    Format the cells in the column as the date format you want. If it remains in
    numeric format, enter 1 in any blank cell, copy it, select the cells in which
    you have numeric dates, Edit-- PasteSpecial-- Multiply

    :