problems for counting

  1. #1
    philip
    Guest

    problems for counting

    Is there any way to count the cell with bold text ( the bold text is
    conditional formatted), I have been try to search the solution from the
    internet with no luck...

    Please help

    many thanks

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    You can use the same criteria as the conditional formatting criteria

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    philip
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    thanks for your information.

    However I already use up 3 CF criteria, the criteria I setup is

    1- $A1=" " format text to bold
    2- $A1>=1 format text to color blue & italic
    3-$A1="xx" format text to red & italic

    what I need to count only the bolded text..

  4. #4
    William Horton
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    I don't know if there is a formula / function that you can use for that. At
    least I couldn't find one. However, you could use VBA code/macro to
    accomplish this.

    Try the below code.

    Sub CountCellsBoldFormatting()
    Dim X As Integer
    X = 0
    For Each Cell In Range("A1:A10")
    If Cell.Font.Bold = True Then
    X = X + 1
    End If
    Next Cell
    MsgBox "There were " & X & " cells with bold formatting."
    End Sub

    Change the range to whatever your range is. You could also display the
    answer in another cell rather than in a message box if you so choose.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,
    Bill Horton

  5. #5
    philip
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    thanks

    I have try your VBA code, but it only work on the nornal format cell in
    bold, it does not work on conditional formatting satituation....

    For my curiosity, in your VAB code, how to display the answer in another
    cell..

    thanks again

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    Don's response is correct. Use a COUNTIF() function and use the same
    criteria you used for conditional formatting. For this purpose, though,
    you're putting it into a cell, not into conditional formatting

  7. #7
    William Horton
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    Use this code to put the answer in cell A11.

    Sub CountCellsBoldFormatting()
    Dim X As Integer
    X = 0
    For Each Cell In Range("A1:A10")
    If Cell.Font.Bold = True Then
    X = X + 1
    End If
    Next Cell
    ActiveSheet.Range("A11").Value = X
    End Sub

    Perhaps you could adjust the code to get what you are after. Instead of
    If Cell.Font.Bold = True Then use
    If Cell.Value = " " Then

    This way you are checking for the value that would make the text bold.
    By the way if " " was in a cell you wouldn't be able to see the bold anyway.
    Maybe I'm not understanding properly.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,
    Bill Horton

  8. #8
    philip
    Guest

    Re: problems for counting

    thanks Duke,

    the satituation as follow:-

    A B C D ................
    1 " " P1 P2 ....... (bolded
    text)
    2 " " S1 (bolded
    text)
    3 1 X1

    COUNT: 2 1

    I need to count col. B, C ,D...... to see the progress until finish.

    thnak

  9. #9
    philip
    Guest