Commission Calculation with IF Stmt.

  1. #1
    Shams
    Guest

    Commission Calculation with IF Stmt.

    Folks,
    Basically, I have to calculate commissions based on Sales threshold. So, a
    sum product formula works very well for this exercise ...i.e.:

    Threshold Marginal Rate Diff Rate
    0 0.25% 0.25%
    1500 0.50% 0.25%
    3000 1.00% 0.50%

    A $1500 sales will give me $3.75, $1800 will give me $5.25 and $3600 will
    give me $17.25 and so on.

    However, I need to be able to break down how we are arriving at any total
    amount based on the threshold...i.e.:

    Sales up to $1500, calculate 0.25% commission Calculation Formula

    Sales up to $3,000, calculate 0.50% commission Calculation Formula

    Sales over $3,000, calculate 1.0% commission
    Calculation Formula

    Total Commission
    Sum

    I am not able to create a watertight formula for each of these threshold
    levels. Technically, commissions for a given sales amount should be the same
    under these two constructs. I think it is safe to assume that my sum product
    formula works fine. So, how do I replicate its effect in discrete pieces for
    the above construct.

    I will really appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.

    Shams.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Commission Calculation with IF Stmt.

    Assume your sales amount is in A1 and the table, including headings, is in
    C1:E4

    The 3 formulas would be:

    =IF(A1>=C2,D2*MIN(A1,C3-C2),0)
    =IF(A1>=C3,D3*MIN(C4-C3,A1-C3),0)
    =IF(A1>=C4,D4*(A1-C4),0)

  3. #3
    Shams
    Guest

    RE: Commission Calculation with IF Stmt.

    Duke,
    Thank you very much for your excellent tip. I think it is working like a
    charm!! I'll play around with the numbers a little bit more to see if
    everything is good to go. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Shams.