Lookup cell value using list of worksheet names

  1. #1

    Lookup cell value using list of worksheet names

    I've got a workbook with 80 worksheets in. The first worksheet (INDEX) has a vertical list of all the worksheet names. I want to lookup a cell in each of the worksheets using the vertical list and return it to a column on the INDEX sheet. However, I don't want to use a VLOOKUP as this would be time consuming. What I'd ideally like is a formula along the lines of:

    ='A2'!C5

    where A2 is one of the worksheet names, and C5 is the cell on that worksheet that I want to return. Is there any easy way to do this?
    Last edited by amaranth; 08-08-2005 at 05:28 AM.

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Lookup cell value using list of worksheet names

    Hi,

    Try this:

    =INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!C5")

    or this (if the C5 reference is variable):

    =INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!"&CELL("address",C5))

    Regards,
    KL

    "amaranth" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Lookup cell value using list of worksheet names

    Hi David,

    I actually meant the variability of the cell's address (i.e. relative
    reference) not the value - excuse my French :-)
    Your formula requires the cell reference to be a value of the cell C5.

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David McRitchie

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Lookup cell value using list of worksheet names

    Ahh, yes, your formulas are the same the difference being that
    the one with Address can be used with the fill handle to fill down
    while the first one had the address in quotes so fill handle would
    not work. My mistake in thinking you were supplying two different
    purposes.

    I had used the CELL with "address" for that purpose before but
    now that you brought it up I'd not realized why HYPERLINK Worksheet
    Formula was a bit more complicated when used with INDIRECT than
    I had used -- obviously wasn't using fill down.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...2.htm#indirect
    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Lookup cell value using list of worksheet names

    Yup, that's it. Thanks for coming back.

  7. #7
    KL

  8. #8