How to automate footers (filename/date) for all new spreadsheets?

  1. #1
    amgbd26
    Guest

    How to automate footers (filename/date) for all new spreadsheets?

    I would like be able to automatically generate a footer on every spreadsheet
    notebook that would contain the filename and date of generation similar to
    the capability provided in WordPerfect's QuattroPro.

  2. #2
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: How to automate footers (filename/date) for all new spreadsheets?

    File | Page Setup | Header/Footer | Custom Footer.

    --

    Vasant

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Visalia, CA / USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Vasant's response is how to do it for one. But ambdg26 wants to automate it for ALL. You need to create a template and store it in your XLStart folder. It is then supposed to open every time you open Excel and that becomes your default worksheet (including footer). Follow Vasant's method, then do FILE / SAVE AS, select "Template" (.xlt) and save it in the XLStart folder.

    This is how Excel tells you to do it. I haven't been able to get it work, however. I have it saved in the XLStart folder but it doesn't open it like it's supposed to. It's almost like Excel is looking somewhere else than where I think it is. So I just did a simple macro to do it for me.
    Bill in CA

  4. #4
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: How to automate footers (filename/date) for all new spreadsheets?

    Good catch; I missed the partr where the OP wanted to do this for every
    workbook.

    As for your problem, are you calling the template Book.xlt?

    --

    Vasant

    "wmjenner" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5
    Visalia, CA / USA
    MS-Off Ver
    No - it was called Book1.xlt. I renamed it to Book.xlt and now it works. Thanks for the tip. I don't recall seeing that in the Excel instructions. I should have asked several years ago!