Prefix

  1. #1
    Big Boss
    Guest

    Prefix

    How do I prefix a character to all all the filled in cells in a column

  2. #2
    Andy Brown
    Guest

    Re: Prefix

    "Big Boss" <Big [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do I prefix a character to all all the filled in cells in a column

    To do this with a formula, use e.g.

    =IF(A1<>"","X"&A1,"")

    in a spare column and drag it down.

    If you want to go on to replace the originals, copy the formulas, then use
    Edit -- Paste Special -- Values.

  3. #3
    Big Boss
    Guest

    Re: Prefix

    Thank you for responding to my query. I guess I was not clear. My apologies.
    I will rephraze my question.

    I have data (numbers and text) in 20 cells A1 to A20 and I want to add "-"
    in the front of contents of A1 to A20. How do I do it without using F2?

    Thanks
    Big Boss

  4. #4
    Andy Brown
    Guest

    Re: Prefix

    "Big Boss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have data (numbers and text) in 20 cells A1 to A20 and I want to add "-"
    > in the front of contents of A1 to A20. How do I do it without using F2?

    Select B1:B20, then type:

    ="-"&

    Then click on A1, then press CTRL+Enter.

    Refer to previous reply for how to convert these from formulas to actual
    values.

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Prefix

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:29:04 -0700, "Big Boss" <Big
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >How do I prefix a character to all all the filled in cells in a column

    Select the cells.

    Format/Number/Custom Type: -0;-0;-0;-@

    --ron