VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

  1. #1
    Philip
    Guest

    VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Hello Friends

    There is an immediate need at my work place where I need to convert huge
    amount of data into different cases like proper, lower, upper and sentence.
    If there is any freeware that lets me do all of the above please advice. I
    would also love to know how to write such programmes in VBA for Excel as an
    interest(specially sentence case).

    Thank you

    Philip Jacob
    Senior Executive Quality Appraisal
    First American Corporation

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    One way is to try the sub SwitchCase* below,
    which enables one to toggle the case of selected cells
    *sub posted by Frank Isaacs '97

    Steps
    --------
    1. Press Alt + F11 to go to VBE
    2. Click Insert > Module
    3. Copy > Paste the sub below
    (everything between the dotted lines)
    into the white empty space in the right-side window

    -------begin vba------

    Sub SwitchCase()
    'Frank Isaacs May '97
    'Select the cells and run
    'Cells' case toggle order:
    'if Lower > Upper
    'if Upper > Proper
    'if Proper** > Lower
    '**or neither of the 3 case types

    Dim Cell As Range

    For Each Cell In Selection
    Select Case True
    Case Cell = LCase(Cell) 'It's lowercase
    Cell = UCase(Cell)
    Case Cell = UCase(Cell) 'It's uppercase
    Cell = Application.Proper(Cell)
    Case Else 'It's neither upper nor lower
    Cell = LCase(Cell)
    End Select
    Next

    End Sub

    -------end vba------

    4. Press Alt + Q to return to Excel

    Running the macro
    ----------------------
    5. Select the range of cells, e.g.: select A1:D200
    (Or, to select entire sheet, press Ctrl + A.
    The sub will work even on discontiguous selections/ranges.)

    6. Press Alt + F8 (or click Tools > Macro > Macros)

    In the dialog box:
    Click on "SwitchCase" > Run
    (or just double-click on "SwitchCase")

    7. When complete, the text-case of the
    selected cells will be converted
    depending on their existing case, viz.:

    Cells' case toggle order:
    ----------------------------------
    if Lower > Upper
    if Upper > Proper
    if Proper* > Lower
    *or neither of the 3 case types

    To further toggle the case,
    just run / re-run the sub over on the selected range(s)

    ---------------------
    To make it easier to run / re-run the sub,
    we could also assign the sub to a button drawn
    from the Forms* toolbar in the sheet
    (*If necesssary, activate toolbar via View > Toolbars > Forms)

    Or, assign to an autoshape drawn in the sheet
    (via right-click on autoshape > Assign Macro)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Philip,

    Here is a simple procedure. Select the cells then run it, it should be
    self-explanatory.

    Sub ChangeCase()
    Dim ans
    ans = InputBox("Which type:" & vbNewLine & _
    "1 - Upper case" & vbNewLine & _
    "2 - Lower case" & vbNewLine & _
    "3 - Proper Case" & vbNewLine & _
    "4 - Sentence case")
    If ans = 1 Or ans = 2 Or ans = 3 Or _
    ans = 4 Then
    ChangeData CLng(ans)
    Else
    MsgBox "Invalid selection, try again with a value 1-4"

    Private Sub ChangeData(pzType As Long)
    Dim cell As Range

    For Each cell In Selection
    With cell
    If Not cell.HasFormula Then
    Select Case pzType
    Case 1: .Value = UCase(.Value)
    Case 2: .Value = LCase(.Value)
    Case 3: .Value = Application.Proper(.Value)
    Case 4:
    If Len(.Value) > 0 Then
    .Value = Left(.Value, 1) & _
    LCase(Right(.Value, Len(.Value) - 1))
    End If
    End Select
    End If
    End With
    Next cell

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Philip
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Thanks Bob

    Bob if you could please look into the sentence case part of the code. It
    doesn't seem to be doing it's job. The sentence doesn't have a capital letter
    to start with and I don't think the periods are taken into consideration
    after which again a check should be repeated. Please review and help.

    Also, is there a way I can assign this macro into the right click pop up
    options after selecting a range instead of te command button.

    Thnaks again
    Was very helpful.

  5. #5
    Philip
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Thanks Max

    Now I know we can assign macros to command buttons. Great help.

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    You're welcome, Phillip !
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    Giovanni D via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Hi Sir this is Gio from Philippines...... it's my first time here in
    this site... i am wondering how can i solve this problem in excel and please
    help me.. I used excel 2000 in creating an inventory program in the hospital.
    I used this excel inventorry program in our suppply room, i used one
    worksheet per item. and i have almost 300 items in the supply room or almost
    300 worksheets. I saved it as a template for all i know it is safer to save
    it as template rather than saving it as ordinary excel files. The program was
    working well, but not when i started linking(hyperlink) it from a certain
    file that i always used. Then i have save it several times as a template but
    i notice that the program malfuncitons, it doesnt compute the formulas i
    created and some formulas are gone. Why is this happening. when i add some
    items in the inventory it wouldnt add to the current balance, why is this
    happening? Will you please help me, you wer the only people who can only
    help me with this kind of problem......please....

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Philip,

    Here it is, completely revised.

    What I have done is to create a context menu as you asked, but I took out
    the input box, and added all of the options to the context menu. Sentence
    case works properly as well now

    Private Sub ChangeCase()
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim aryParts
    Dim iPos As Long

    For Each cell In Selection
    With cell
    If Not .HasFormula Then
    Select Case Application.CommandBars.ActionControl.Parameter
    Case "Upper": .Value = UCase(.Value)
    Case "Lower": .Value = LCase(.Value)
    Case "Proper": .Value = Application.Proper(.Value)
    Case "Sentence": .Value = SentenceCase(.Value)
    End Select
    End If
    End With
    Next cell
    End Sub

    Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
    Dim oRegExp As Object
    Dim oMatch As Object
    Dim oAllMatches As Object

    para = LCase(para)
    Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
    oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
    oRegExp.Global = True
    Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
    For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
    With oMatch
    Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
    UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
    End With
    Next oMatch
    SentenceCase = para
    End Function

    Option Explicit

    On Error Resume Next 'just in case
    Application.CommandBars("Cell").Controls("Case Changer").Delete
    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim oCtl As CommandBarControl

    On Error Resume Next 'just in case
    Application.CommandBars("Cell").Controls("Case Changer").Delete
    On Error GoTo 0

    With Application.CommandBars("Cell")
    With .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, temporary:=True)
    .BeginGroup = True
    .Caption = "Case Changer"

    With .Controls.Add
    .Caption = "Upper case"
    .OnAction = "ChangeCase"
    .Parameter = "Upper"
    End With
    With .Controls.Add
    .Caption = "Lower case"
    .OnAction = "ChangeCase"
    .Parameter = "Lower"
    End With
    With .Controls.Add
    .Caption = "Proper case"
    .OnAction = "ChangeCase"
    .Parameter = "Proper"
    End With
    With .Controls.Add
    .Caption = "Sentence case"
    .OnAction = "ChangeCase"
    .Parameter = "Sentence"
    End With
    End With
    End With

    End Sub

    'This is workbook event code.

    Bob Phillips

  9. #9
    Philip
    Guest

    re: VBA for converting data into various CASES.-write such programmes in VBA

    Bob,

    Excellent. Great help. Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for.
    This reduces my menial tasks to a great extent at work.

    Bob, I had posted another question in this forum under the heading 'Copy
    Name and email address from web sites to excel sheet' in Excel category some
    time ago. I haven't received any help regarding the same. It is a part of the
    same task I want to complete at work. If you could please look into it as
    well and help. Probably there could be a small VB program itself that could
    run as a service and be a part of the right click options in Internet
    Explorer that transfers the selected text to an excel file. The excel file
    acts as a database with two fields:

    Name Email Address

    Philip [email protected]
    Bob [email protected]

    And the new details gets added onto the excel sheets as I right click in
    Internet explorer and choose whether the selected text goes into the first or
    second field of the open workbook. The program should also contain an option
    to change the workbook name and location from time to time.

    I hope I am not asking too much.

    Once again, I appreciate your help and thanks.