subtotal - multiple criteria

  1. #1

    subtotal - multiple criteria

    i have a sheet, which i want to sub total on two levels..

    for example, i have a product number, country code, and value. The sheet is sorted by product number then country code.

    i require totals for the value of the product (which i can acheive by using the sub total function), but also require a further total for upon change in country code with the the product number :

    product number country value
    1 a 5
    1 a 10
    subtotal 15

    1 b 15
    subtotal 15

    Total 1 30

    2 c 20
    subtotal 20

    Total 2 20

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: subtotal - multiple criteria

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100=1),--(B2:B100="a"),C2:C100)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: subtotal - multiple criteria

    Sounds like the perfect place to use a Pivot table

    Data->Pivot table and Pivot Chart Report...

    Offers a variety of sorting and subtotaling options without messing with
    your original data

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: subtotal - multiple criteria

    You can add another level of subtotals:

    Sort the list by Product number and Country
    Subtotal the list at change in Product Number
    Choose Data>Subtotals again
    Select change in Country
    Remove the check mark from 'Remove current subtotals'
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  5. #5
    thanks for your replies..

    i have over 6000 thousand lines with approx 800 items, so the sumproduct will not be the easiest method?

    I did think of pivot tables, but i have other details on each row which i still want to see (customer name) - so with the pivot table this will lose this information and just result in totals.

    The re-apply of the subtotals seems easy and more suitable, which i have tried. This does work, however, where i have an item with more than one country, the last entry does not "appear" correctly.. I will get the grand/sub total for the item, and then under this i will get the country total. Although they are correct, visually it looks misleading. Are there any steps i can take to correct this?

    Again, thanks for your replies

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: subtotal - multiple criteria

    There's information in the following MSKB article:

    Multilevel subtotals are in the wrong position in Excel 2002 and in
    Excel 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831824/

  7. #7
    Thank you SOOOO much!

    Quick reg edit and all is cured. spent most of today doing what turned out to be a 10 minute job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Dalgleish

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: subtotal - multiple criteria

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that the registry edit fixed
    the problem.

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips

  10. #10