Need to merge columns

  1. #1
    Jay T
    Guest

    Need to merge columns

    I have an excell worksheet that comes with the following information in each
    column (not rows).

    A First Name
    B Last Name
    C House Number
    D Address
    E City
    F State
    G Zip Code
    H Area Code
    I Phone Number

    I need to merge the information in C with D (i.e. 123 Main Street in same
    column). I also need to merge information from H with I (504 555 1212)

    Help.

  2. #2
    DaveB
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    In column J (or wherever you have a free column) type this:

    =CONCATENATE(C1," ",D1)

    and drag down. Then copy this column and paste special->values into column
    C or D. Use the same process for column H and I

    DavidB

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    Or:

    =C1&" "&D1

  4. #4
    Jay T
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    DaveB,

    Thanks but I still don't have the information from the rows appearing in
    column J.

  5. #5
    DaveB
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    That will work as well, essentially that is what the CONCATENATE() function
    does behind the scenes.

    DavidB

  6. #6
    DaveB
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    Well in my formula it is assuming that there is information in C1 and D1. If
    not, change the formula to refer to the top of the column where your house
    number and address information start and drag that down to the bottom.

    Does that help?

    DavidB

  7. #7
    Jay T
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    It worked for the information in row 1. But I have a list of 600 names,
    address etc.

    I am clicking on the top of the column and the whole column is highlighted.
    Would I need to insert the function =CONCATENATE(C2," ",D2) for row two and
    so on for 600 rows OR is there a way I can do the whole column?

  8. #8
    DaveB
    Guest

    RE: Need to merge columns

    Yes in that case you would. Excel has some shortcuts to doing this, however.
    Click on the cell where you have the =CONCATENATE(C1," ",D1) function. When
    you do this the cell will be highlighted with a bold line around it. In the
    bottom right corner of this cell you see a little black square, double click
    on this and Excel will fill the ccolumn down to wherever the column right
    next to it stops.

    For example if you have information in column I, paste that concatenate
    function into column J, when you double click the fill option it will fill
    column J down to wherever column I stops. Excel will update the formula
    respectively for each row changing the C1 and D1 to C2, D2.. C3, D3... ect.

    DavidB

  9. #9
    Jay T
    Guest