formula to use when no. of rows changes dynamically

  1. #1
    confused
    Guest

    formula to use when no. of rows changes dynamically

    Hi,

    how do I refer to a column when the number of rows may change dynamically?
    e.g column A with 12 rows of data would be a1:A12, with dynamic number of
    rows it would be A1:A??

    I am using SumProduct to add up those rows which meet certain conditions.
    But the number of rows in the source area changes, so how can I get my
    sumproduct formula to work as the number of rows changes?
    eg my pseudo code is:

    =SUMPRODUCT((L2:L"number of rows" = "LDC")*(C2:C"number of rows"))

    I know that COUNTA can be used to return the number of non empty rows but
    cant work out the syntax to use this, e.g. this is wrong:
    =SUMPRODUCT(L2:LCOUNTA(L:L)= "LDC")*(C2:LCOUNTA(L:L))

    thanks to anyone who can help or advise!

  2. #2
    arno
    Guest

    re: formula to use when no. of rows changes dynamically

    Hi confused,

    > how do I refer to a column when the number of rows may change
    > dynamically? e.g column A with 12 rows of data would be a1:A12, with
    > dynamic number of rows it would be A1:A??
    >

    > I know that COUNTA can be used to return the number of non empty rows

    good! combine Counta() with the OFFSET()-function. eg.

    =offset(a1,0,0,counta(whatever), numberofcolums)

    you can use this formula to specify the data range of named ranges eg.
    "myrange", to sum up everything you could use then a formula like
    =sum(myrange)

    read online help to the offset-function.

    arno

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    re: formula to use when no. of rows changes dynamically

    One way would be to define dynamic ranges...

    Insert > Name > Define

    Name: ColumnL

    Refers to:
    =Sheet1!$L$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$L$2:$L$65536,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet
    1!$C$2:$C$65536))

    Click Add

    Name: ColumnC

    Refers to:
    =Sheet1!$C$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$65536,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,Sheet
    1!$C$2:$C$65536))

    Click Ok

    Then use the following formula...

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ColumnL="LDC"),ColumnC)

    Hope this helps!

  4. #4
    Simon Letten
    Guest

    re: formula to use when no. of rows changes dynamically

    The COUNTA function will tell you how many non-empty rows there are but you
    need to wrap that in something that will give a valid range, e.g.
    SUM(INDIRECT("L2:L"&COUNTA(L:L)))

    Simon