Check to see if cell data is within a range

  1. #1

    Check to see if cell data is within a range

    I want to count the number of cells with in a range that fall between a certain range. I can get it to work with one criteria but not when adding the second.

    For example, I want to count the number of cells between I8:I24 that are >= 75 but < 90.

    This works for greater than 75 but not sure what to do for the less than 90.
    =COUNTIF(FIN!$I$8:$I$24,">=.75")

    Thank you for any help.

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: Check to see if cell data is within a range

    This technique can be adapted to any combination of conditions.

    Consider the formula

    =(I8>=75)*(I8<90)

    It returns 1 for the numbers you want to count and 0 otherwise. Enter this
    in a column to the right of I and copy down. The sum of the 1's is what you
    want.

    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Check to see if cell data is within a range

    2 ways

    =countif(I8:I24,"<90")-=countif(I8:I24,"<=75")

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(I8:I24<90),--(I8:I24,<=75))

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Check to see if cell data is within a range

    first formula should have been

  5. #5
    sirknightly
    Guest

    Re: Check to see if cell data is within a range

    Use an array function. Array functions perform individual calculations
    on multiple cells simultaneously. But to get them to work, you must
    hold down CTRL and SHIFT while pressing ENTER after typing in the
    formula.

    Here's the formula. The pointed brackets will be automatically created
    by Excel after you hold down CTRL and SHIFT and press ENTER:

    =SUM(IF(I8:I24>=75,IF(I8:I24<90,1,0),0))

    Knightly

  6. #6
    sirknightly
    Guest

    Re: Check to see if cell data is within a range

    Use an array function. Array functions perform individual calculations
    on multiple cells simultaneously. But to get them to work, you must
    hold down CTRL and SHIFT while pressing ENTER after typing in the
    formula.

    Here's the formula. Replace "_GT_" and "_LT" with the appropriate
    signs. For some reason this site erases them upon posting... The
    pointed brackets will be automatically created by Excel after you hold
    down CTRL and SHIFT and press ENTER:

    ={SUM(IF(I8:I24_GT_=75,IF(I8:I24_LT_90,1,0),0))}

    Knightly

  7. #7
    Gary's Student

  8. #8