Data Validation Manipulation

  1. #1

    Data Validation Manipulation

    drop down selects
    Hello,

    I currently have a drop down box which list location names. The problem is the location names are very generic (only part of the location info). What I would like to do is have a drop down list actually list the full location name but populate the field with the generic name when selected. I could add another column but this file will be used as import data and the extra field is not part of the extract layout.

    Ex.

    Generic name:T100

    Full location name: Trumbull 100 (specific trumbull address)

    User's would select trumbull 100 from the drop down list, but the name T100 would actually populate the field. I tried to reference the generic range but keep on getting a circular reference error. Can this be done?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Manipulation

    You could do this with programming. There's a sample workbook on my web
    site that shows a product name and code in the Data Validation dropdown
    list. After an item is selected, the cell shows only the product name.
    You may be able to adapt this to your workbook.

    On the following page:

    Under the data validation heading, look for 'Data Validation "Columns"

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3

    Data validation manipulation

    Thanks, Debra!.

    I unzipped your worksheet. However, when I click on the dropdown and choose a product, the product and id remain, does not automatically fill in just the product name. Also, I selected enable macros.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Manipulation

    Perhaps events have been disabled. Does it work if you run the MyFix
    macro that's also in the workbook?

  5. #5

    Data validation manipulation

    Running the macro, it still doesn't work. I've tried using your code for my workbook and it kind of works, but with a delayed response. If I click on the drop down , choose my selection, it does't populate that cell with the corresponding name unless I pop back into the cell. If I leave the cell and then go back to the cell than it updates the cell with the corresponding name.

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Manipulation

    Does the code work correctly in the sample workbook that you downloaded?

  7. #7

    Data validation manipulation

    Hi Debra,

    No, it doesn't work in your sample workbook that I downloaded. I used the data validations columns sample workbook.

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Manipulation

    What version of Excel are you using? If it's Excel 97, the code won't
    work, as explained here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Change

  9. #9

    Data validation manipulation

    Yes, I am currently using excel 97.

  10. #10

    Data validation manipulation

    Debra,

    As I mentioned earlier, I've used your code for my workbook and it kind of works, but with a delayed response. If I click on the drop down , choose my selection, it does't populate that cell with the corresponding name unless I pop back into the cell. If I leave the cell and then go back to the cell than it updates the cell with the corresponding name. Is there a way to have the event happen on leaving the cell, once the cell loses focus can the update happen then.

  11. #11
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Manipulation

    Thanks for letting me know. Perhaps you can implement one of the
    workarounds that's mentioned:

  12. #12
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Manipulation

    When you go back to the cell later, then press Enter, you trigger the
    Worksheet_Change event, and the code runs. There's no way to make this
    happen in Excel 97, by selecting an item from the Data Validation list,
    if the list source is on a worksheet.

    You could select from the list, then press the F2 key, and press Enter.

    Or, try a combobox overlay, as described here:

  13. #13
    Debra Dalgleish

  14. #14
    Debra Dalgleish