Rank based on criteria

  1. #1
    Steve DeBruin
    Guest

    Rank based on criteria

    How can I get excel to not only do a ranking using the sales of all the
    employees, but also a rank by region as well? The real spreadsheet is much
    larger and would take a lot of time to rank by hand. I would like to have a
    formula do this, not sorting the list and then filling down. Thanks.

    Steve

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Rank based on criteria

    Hi Steve

    I would head column E as Regions, with North, East, South, West in cells
    E2:E5
    In cell F2 enter
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($C$2:$C$13=E2),$B$2:$B$13) and copy down through cells F3:F5
    In cell G2 enter
    =RANK(F2,$F$2:$F$5) and copy down through G3:G5

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Rank based on criteria

    Steve,

    Try this

    =MATCH(B2,LARGE(IF($C$2:$C$13=C2,$B$2:$B$13),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF($C$2:
    $C$13,C2)))),0)

    it is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    RP

  4. #4
    Steve D
    Guest

    Re: Rank based on criteria

    That worked great Bob, thanks a lot. One more question. How would you do a
    reverse rank? So that the lowest sales amount would be ranked #1 and so on.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Rank based on criteria

    What? Steve DeBruin is Steved? No greetings from Steved? :-(

    You're going to kick yourself man, it is so obvious (when you see it that
    is)

    =MATCH(B2,SMALL(IF($C$2:$C$13=C2,$B$2:$B$13),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF($C$2:
    $C$13,C2)))),0)

    again an array formula

    RP

    news:[email protected]...