Frequency Array and Bin Array-how to set up a frequency report on my project.

  1. #1
    LabLost
    Guest

    Frequency Array and Bin Array-how to set up a frequency report on my project.

    I am trying to do a lab report and I cannot figure out how to set up a
    frequency report on my project. I figured out my other question about the
    conversions. Now I'm onto this part of the project.

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    re: Frequency Array and Bin Array-how to set up a frequency report on my project.

    Suppose you have observations of Apgar numbers -- or some other measured
    quantity -- in A1:A100. Apgar numbers range from 0 to 10, and the important
    diagnostic ranges are 0 - 3, 4 - 7 and 8 - 10. So your bin range could have
    the number 3 in B1, 7 in B2 and 10 in B3.

    With that setup, select a one-column, three-row range such as C1:C3. Type
    this formula:

    =FREQUENCY(A1:A100,B1:B3)

    but don't press Enter yet. First, simultaneously hold down Ctrl and Shift,
    and as you're holding them down, press Enter. This keyboard sequence
    array-enters the formula, and is required for various Excel functions to
    work properly -- including FREQUENCY. With C1:C3 selected, the array formula
    will fill all three cells.

    BTW, if you want to create a bin for each unique number in the data array,
    you can use the data array itself as the bin range -- e.g.:

    =FREQUENCY(A1:A100,A1:A100)

    (Bryce Ulrich taught me that, which shows you how far back I go.)

    See the documentation on LINEST or TRANSPOSE, e.g., for information on using
    array formulas that have multiple rows _and_ columns.

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

    news:[email protected]...