how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

  1. #1
    rogerm
    Guest

    how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    I would like to increase the year in a MM/DD/YYYY formated cell by 1, 2,5 and
    10 and place the new dates in other cells. Adding 365 doesn't work because
    of leap years. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    William
    Guest

    Re: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    Hi rogerm

    This formula will add one year to the date in cell A1. Replace the "+1" in
    the formula with the number of years you want to add.

    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))
    --

    XL2003
    Regards

    William
    [email protected]

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    Let's say the start date is in cell A1. In another cell enter:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

    This will give the date 1 year later. You can change the +1 to +5 to make
    it 5 years, etc.

    Have a good day
    --
    Gary's Student

  5. #5
    rogerm
    Guest

    RE: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    Thanks for the help! It works just like I need it to.

  6. #6
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    Just want to point out a difference. If A1 has the date 2/29/2004, then
    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))
    returns 3/1/2005
    and
    =EDATE (A1,12)
    returns
    2/28/2005

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  7. #7
    Longview, Texas
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    When I use the formula =DATE(YEAR(A1)+1,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) , it works perfectly as long as there is an existing date in the reference cell. However, if the reference cell is blank, such as in a template waiting to be filled out, the formula cell is showing a goofy date, such as Dec-00. Suggestions on how to have the formula cell completely blank until a date is entered into the reference cell?

  8. #8
    Forum Expert Sam Capricci's Avatar
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    MS-Off Ver
    16.84 for Mac MS 365
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: how do i add 1 year to a date formatted cell?

    Hal, first, welcome to the forum! This post is almost 14 years old. Posting on another thread with a question is a violation of forum rule #4. If you have a question start your own post AND you can include a link to this post if you feel it is relevant to yours.
    Again welcome to the forum!
    Make contributors happy, click on the "* Add Reputation" as a way to say thank you.
    Sam Capricci