The ExcelTip forums update this forum

  1. #1
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    The ExcelTip forums update this forum

    The Excel forum(www.excelforum.com) has been able to read from these forums
    into theirs, but has recently begun posting from their forums to these.

    A few things to consider:
    1)The ExcelForum POSTS to this forum every few minutes.
    2)The ExcelForum READS from this one once per hour (around 5 min after the
    hour).
    Consequently, until that schedule changes, our responses to ExcelForum posts
    can be delayed up to an hour before they are posted there.

    Indicator:The bottom of the posts from the ExcelForum contain text
    indicating that the poster is a member of the ExcelForum.
    (You may want to just log in there for a more timely response.)

    Ron

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: The ExcelTip forums update this forum

    Note that this is not unique to ExcelForum - just a hazard of
    newsgroups.

    If you use nntp, depending on the particular news server you're reading
    from, it can take minutes to hours for posts to propagate.

    If the original poster and the responder are on "closer" servers to each
    other than to msnews (where most servers get their update), the reply
    may be sent and received before it's ever propagated to the majority of
    news servers, or via the web interface.

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: The ExcelTip forums update this forum

    Unless someone is constrained by a company firewall etc and is unable to use
    a newsreader then connecting directly to msnews.micrososft.com is by far the
    best way to read posts and answers

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: The ExcelTip forums update this forum

    So ... that's why ... at times, you get the feeling you're being
    ignored?<bg>

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: The ExcelTip forums update this forum

    Alas...Yes, I am most definitely prevented, by my company's firewall, from
    accessing newsgroups. I'm relegated to toggling between websites.

    Ron