FV Function Problem

  1. #1
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: FV Function Problem

    This file might be a help:
    http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/...Calculator.zip

    ... except that it arrives at a figure of $34,432. This file also shows the
    loan replayment schedule.

    It's in the "Accountants" section on page:
    http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm
    This workbook includes two worksheets that can help you calculate the likely
    repayments you will have to make on mortgages and personal loans (including
    HP and conditional sale agreements).

    --
    Andy Wiggins FCCA
    www.BygSoftware.com

    "TerryG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm doing an auto loan amortization and getting conflicting results with
    > similar Excel functions. I'm looking at a GM loan of 1.9% for 4 years on

    > loan of $32,000, and trying to obtain the total cost of loan, P+I. If I

    do a
    > FV(0.019/12,48,,32000,0) I get $34,524. However, if I use several online
    > auto loan calculators I get $33,257. I can obtain the latter result by

    using

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: FV Function Problem

    The reason you are getting different results is becase when you use CUMIPMT
    excel is assuming that you are paying down your debt every month for 48
    months and hence each successive months interest cost keeps coming down and
    thus total interest paid is only 1257.
    However when using FV the principal gets simply compunded ( no paying down
    of loan) and is therefore higher than above

  3. #3
    TerryG
    Guest

    Re: FV Function Problem

    That's what I suspected, but wasn't sure. Thanks very much for your reply!!

    Terry

  4. #4
    Andy Wiggins

  5. #5
    N Harkawat

  6. #6
    TerryG

  7. #7
    TerryG
    Guest

    FV Function Problem

    I'm doing an auto loan amortization and getting conflicting results with
    similar Excel functions. I'm looking at a GM loan of 1.9% for 4 years on a

  8. #8
    Andy Wiggins

  9. #9
    N Harkawat