column variables

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    mahmon
    Guest

    column variables

    I have databse of products, one colum contains text values for the colours
    these products are, red, green , blue, etc. what functinocan tell me how many
    colours are in the column? help please

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    Try =CountA(C2:C65536) or something like that, mahmon.
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Anne Troy

  4. #4
    mahmon
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    thanks, but my problem is that the colours are repeated and i dont want it to
    count a colour twice

  5. #5
    mahmon

  6. #6
    mahmon

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 08:55:04 -0700, mahmon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have databse of products, one colum contains text values for the colours
    >these products are, red, green , blue, etc. what functinocan tell me how many
    >colours are in the column? help please

    If there are no blanks in your range:

    =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(MATCH(rng,rng,0),MATCH(rng,rng,0))>0,1))

    If there may be blanks, then use the *array* formula:

    =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(LEN(rng)>0,MATCH(rng,rng,0),""),IF(LEN(rng)>0,MATCH(rng,rng,0),""))>0,1))

    To enter an *array* formula, after typing or pasting it into the cell, hold

    --ron

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld

  9. #9
    mahmon
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    Thanks cant seem to get that to work dont know of its me, i am quite new to
    excel. what do i put in place of rng? Wwhat i want to do is for excel to look
    down the list and count the number of different colours without me having to
    input any of the values in the function

  10. #10
    mahmon

  11. #11
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:46:02 -0700, mahmon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks cant seem to get that to work dont know of its me, i am quite new to
    >excel. what do i put in place of rng? Wwhat i want to do is for excel to look
    >down the list and count the number of different colours without me having to
    >input any of the values in the function

    For "rng" you substitute the range which you are testing. So if your data
    (list of colors) is in C2:C1000, you would substitute C2:C1000 where I have
    written "rng".

    Alternatively, you could NAME that range, "rng" and then you would not have to
    substitute anything.

    --ron

  12. #12
    mahmon
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    BRILLIANT IT WORKS! thanks for your help. one more question, how do then
    cross reference to values in another column? i have a second coloumn that has
    either a blank of the word 'selected' in it. how do i then count all the same
    criteria but only if they are 'selected' ?

  13. #13
    mahmon

  14. #14
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    Do you want to count all the "Reds" that have "selected" in the adjoining
    column?
    Enter the color you're looking for in C1, and try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000=C1)*(B1:B1000="selected"))

    --
    HTH,

    RD

  15. #15
    Ragdyer

  16. #16
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:22:02 -0700, mahmon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >BRILLIANT IT WORKS! thanks for your help.

    You're welcome. Thank you for the feedback.

    >one more question, how do then
    >cross reference to values in another column? i have a second coloumn that has
    >either a blank of the word 'selected' in it. how do i then count all the same
    >criteria but only if they are 'selected' ?

    If your Colors are in a range named "Colors" (or use the appropriate cell
    reference); and your column that may or may not have "Selected" in it is in a
    range named "Sel" then

    with the color of interest in A1:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1=Colors)*(Sel="Selected"))

    --ron

  17. #17
    Ron Rosenfeld

  18. #18
    Ragdyer

  19. #19
    Ron Rosenfeld

  20. #20
    mahmon

  21. #21
    Ron Rosenfeld

  22. #22
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: column variables

    rng is the range, mahmon. So if your colors are in A1:A10, then replace rng
    with A1:A10.

    Microsoft describes this solution here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q268001/

    *******************