calculate the number of days from date received

  1. #1
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: calculate the number of days from date received

    =TODAY()-A2

    You could also use conditional formatting to see if the time exceeds 7 days.
    See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#basic

    RP

    "Donna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
    > number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the

    formula
    > is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
    > morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
    > receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
    > Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally.

    Can

  2. #2
    Fanatik
    Guest

    RE: calculate the number of days from date received

    Hi Donna

    The function =TODAY() will take the computer's current date.

    So using the formula =TODAY()-B1 (assuming the received date is in column
    B), will deduct today's date from the received date. You'll have to format
    the cell which contains this formula to number, to see the number of days
    which have past, but the numbers will change each day.

    Hope it helps!

  3. #3
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: calculate the number of days from date received

    If you're looking for a countdown such as '5 days until you can send', '4
    days until you can send','3 days until you can send', etc.
    Assuming your Received Date is in Cell 'A1' and you want to know how many
    days until you can send, try...
    =IF(+$A$2+7-INT(Now())<=0,0,+$A$2+7-INT(Now()))
    This will stay at zero if it is past time to send
    HTH,
    --
    Gary Brown
    gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com

  4. #4
    Mangus Pyke
    Guest

    Re: calculate the number of days from date received

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:24:02 -0700, "Donna"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
    >number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the formula
    >is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
    >morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
    >receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
    >Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally. Can
    >anyone help?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Donna

    If rcvd date is in column A (starting in row 1), and forumla is in
    column B, enter this:

    =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"d")

    MP-
    --
    "Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
    B.F. Skinner

  5. #5
    SVC
    Guest

    RE: calculate the number of days from date received

    If cell A1 is the Received date, cell B1 is to contain the number of days
    since receipt of the Return receipt, use this formula:

    =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"D")

    This formula will include the date received but not today in the count (e.g.
    from 7/11/2005 to 7/18/2005 gives a result of 7). If you need to count today
    as 1 day, add 1 to the format (i.e., +1)

    The function TODAY() should update automatically each new day. If not,
    check under Tools > Options > Calculation to see that Calculation is set to
    Automatic.

    If you want, you can add conditional formatting to the cells in columns B
    (e.g make the cell change color when it is equal to greater than 7 days).

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips

  7. #7
    Fanatik