Negative r-squared?

  1. #1
    AFNovice
    Guest

    Negative r-squared?

    When performing regression analysis, Excel returns an r-squared of -3....how
    can the square be negative, and how can it be greater than 1 if r ranges from
    -1.0 to 1.0?

  2. #2
    Middletown, CT, USA

    Unhappy Negative r-squared?

    You have stated a truth; the correlation coefficient must exist between -1.o and 1.0, OTHERWISE, there is something wrong with either the data or the calculation. I would look at the data to be sue it was properly displayed. I know this doesn't give you an exact answer to your math, but it does reinforce your initial belief. George F.

  3. #3
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Negative r-squared?

    AFNovice -

    See the Regression section of this article:

    Description of the effects of the improved statistical functions for the
    Analysis ToolPak in Excel 2003 and in Excel 2004 for Mac

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Negative r-squared?

    Mike Middleton wrote...
    >AFNovice -
    >
    >See the Regression section of this article:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;829208
    >
    >Description of the effects of the improved statistical functions for the
    >Analysis ToolPak in Excel 2003 and in Excel 2004 for Mac

    Also see

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en

    (or http://makeashorterlink.com/?H3592148B ).

    While Excel 2003 is a big improvement, it's still not perfect. The
    linear regression worksheet functions still don't do as good a job
    managing limited precision as the chart trendline code. And Excel 2003
    handles missing and nonnumeric values in regression X and Y ranges
    differently than earlier versions. See the thread

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8cdd63033f6a2f

    (or http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q3E52236A ).