Link a cell to another workbook with a different path

  1. #1

    Re: Link a cell to another workbook with a different path

    If you open workbook A, then create your formula that links to that workbook A,
    you'll see how excel handles the path when you close workbook A.

    And you update the path by saving the workbook to a different location. Same
    kind of thing with the name--you have to save it with a different name.

  2. #2
    Jai
    Guest

    Re: Link a cell to another workbook with a different path

    Thanks for your reply. I am able to save a link to a cell in another open
    workbook and when that "Source" workbook is closed, then the link in the
    destination workbook cell formula automatically changes to reflect the full
    path and file name. However, if I am developing an application where the
    source workbook is not yet there, but would be created at some point in the
    future, there is apparantly no way for me to save the link to this yet to be
    created workbook.

    WHile my current problem has been nicely taken care of, I wonder whether
    it is too much to ask for such a capability?

  3. #3

    Re: Link a cell to another workbook with a different path

    I think I'd link to an always existing dummy workbook.

    Then when the other workbook is actually created, I'd change the link
    (edit|link) to point at the real one. (or fix the individual formula if you
    have other links that can't be changed).

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Jai
    Guest