Search column for value and return TRUE or FALSE

  1. #1
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Search column for value and return TRUE or FALSE

    =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("x",A1:A10,0)))
    or
    =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("-x",A1:A10,0)))
    or
    =NOT(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0))) where B1 contains the criteria to search

    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Remote Desktop Connection hotkey
    Guest

    Re: Search column for value and return TRUE or FALSE

    Thanks man.... i can't understand why i couldn't come up whith this myself

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek

    Bob Umlas wrote:
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("x",A1:A10,0)))
    > or
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("-x",A1:A10,0)))
    > or
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0))) where B1 contains the criteria to search

    Easier (and efficient) if we substitute ISNUMBER(...) for NOT(ISNA(...).

    Even better, if an optional argument in MATCH() was available:

    =MATCH(LValue,LRange,0,FALSE)

    instead of

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(LValue,LRange,0))

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.

  4. #4
    Bob Umlas

  5. #5