Index and match functions help needed.

  1. #1
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Index and match functions help needed.

    Looks good Zak.

    Did you array-enter it, that is Ctrl-Shift-Enter rather than just Enter?

    RP

    "Zak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have the following column headings:
    >
    > "Names" "Date" "Title Plan Reference Number" "Work Recording System"

    "Audit
    > Stage"
    >
    > Now if I enter the name AND date i want the title to be automatiaclly
    > displayed for the corresponding date and name that I have entered. I used

    the

  2. #2
    Zak
    Guest

    Re: Index and match functions help needed.

    yeah i did array enter it but it wont work

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Index and match functions help needed.

    The formula works ok for me (tested here) ..

    Perhaps there's an extra "invisible" space inadvertently entered in the name
    input in E2 which is fouling up the match ?

    Try, array-entered as before:
    =INDEX(A2:C4,MATCH(TRIM(E2)&F2,A2:A4&B2:B4,0),3)

    Does this work ?

    Another possibility: dates in B2:B4 are not real dates

    Select B2:B4, click Data > Text to columns, Next > Next

    In step 3 of the wizard:
    Under "Column data format"
    Check "Date", and select the correct format from the droplist (eg: DMY)
    Click Finish
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Index and match functions help needed.

    ... and a nice closure note received from the OP ...
    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: need help on excel please: Zak from Microsoft website
    To: "Max"

    Just wanted to say a big thank you for sorting that
    problem out. Inputted the formulae and they work
    perfectly. really appreciate the help you provided.

    kind regards
    Zak
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Index and match functions help needed.

    Resolved via an email exchange ..

    The array formula was correctly entered and it correctly returned #N/A due
    to no match found, but think this was misconstrued as "not working" by the
    OP.

    Link to sample file returned to the OP :
    http://www.savefile.com/files/4538432
    File: Index and match functions help needed_Zak_wksht.xls
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Max

  9. #9
    Zak

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips

  12. #12
    Max

  14. #14
    Zak

  15. #15
    Bob Phillips

  17. #17
    Zak
    Guest

    Index and match functions help needed.

    I have the following column headings:

    "Names" "Date" "Title Plan Reference Number" "Work Recording System" "Audit
    Stage"

    Now if I enter the name AND date i want the title to be automatiaclly
    displayed for the corresponding date and name that I have entered. I used the
    formula from the Excel help article that I read:
    =INDEX(A2:C4,MATCH(E2&F2,A2:A4&B2:B4,0),3). In theory having read the help
    article this is the formula I need. I have spent such a long time trying to
    get the formula to work but it wont. I need help please

  19. #19
    Max

  20. #20
    Zak