Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

  1. #1
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    You have SLOPE, INTERCEPT and LINEST, making an interpolation is rather easy
    from there.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    Bernard Liengme wrote...
    >You have SLOPE, INTERCEPT and LINEST, making an interpolation is rather easy
    >from there.

    LINEST would be gross overkill. Besides, FORECAST and TREND would be
    far easier than any of these. The problem is that using it to
    interpolate in a table (TBL) for a value (v) involves expressions like

    TREND(OFFSET(TBL,MATCH(v,INDEX(TBL,0,XvalCol)),YvalCol-1,2,1),
    OFFSET(TBL,MATCH(v,INDEX(TBL,0,XvalCol)),XvalCol-1,2,1),v)

    You may like these, but they are a bit long. When they're general like
    this, they eat 3 levels of nested function calls. A simpler approach
    would be handy, but I suspect we won't see it in Excel until a few
    months after Hell organizes an Ice Hockey league.

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    Tushar Mehta wrote...
    >As nice as it would be for MS to meet every need for every function
    >from every customer, XL is flexible enough to allow one to add new
    >capabilities.

    The logical implications of this argument are that because Excel is
    extensible in terms of functions, Microsoft need never add another.

    As for meeting needs, when was the last time anyone who uses Excel
    regularly needed any of the 3 Bessel functions? And for those who
    do need Bessel functions, it would have been nice if Microsoft had
    allowed for fractional parameters.

    Linear interpolation is a commonly needed bit of functionality. Not,
    it'd seem, as frequently requested as summing cells by color or font
    attributes, but much more common than finding solutions to
    cylindrical harmonics.

    It'd be good for Microsoft to add some built-in functions to Excel.
    But, if you're going to be an absolutist about this (denying the need
    or usefullness of any more functions), perhaps we could discuss new
    capabilities that would make Excel *MORE* *CONSISTENT*.

    Top of my list would be rewriting the formula parser (which probably
    hasn't been touched since Excel 4) to accept nested function calls
    more than 7 levels deep. As I've pointed out several times, Excel has
    no trouble calculating such formulas, but it won't allow them to be
    created or edited. How can they be? They can be created by other,
    non-Microsoft spreadsheets, saved in .XLS format (so the file format
    in addition to the recalc engine isn't the problem here), and opened
    in Excel. Would that be a useful new feature?

    >For a few options for piecewise linear interpolation, see a discussion
    >"Graph look up" in .excel.charting. You can search the google.com
    >archives of the XL newsgroups for a post by Dave Braden for code based
    >on cubic splines and visit www.xlrotor.com for code based on Bezier
    >curves.

    Of course there are ways to do it. It's just that they're bulky and
    nonintuitive. There are ways to calculate depreciation using only the
    arithmetic functions and lots of cells for intermediate calculations.
    Why does Excel include DB, DDB, SLN, SYD and VDB functions?

    Your argument is flawed.

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    As nice as it would be for MS to meet every need for every function
    from every customer, XL is flexible enough to allow one to add new
    capabilities.

    For a few options for piecewise linear interpolation, see a discussion
    "Graph look up" in .excel.charting. You can search the google.com
    archives of the XL newsgroups for a post by Dave Braden for code based
    on cubic splines and visit www.xlrotor.com for code based on Bezier
    curves.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>, =?Utf-
    8?B?RGFuIEdhdXRoaWVy?= <Dan [email protected]> says...

  5. #5
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Please add an INTERPOLATE function. For vector or array data.

    Which you can do with LINEST etc. or more directly with TREND or
    FORECAST by including just the relevant surrounding points (instead of
    the entire data set) for a given interpolation.

    Jerry

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove

  7. #7