adding formula to existing database

  1. #1
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: adding formula to existing database

    1) Save a "pristine" copy of your file in case you make an error.
    2) I assume your document is comma delimited. I also assume that your
    data is in column A. If it's not, modify the suggestions based on the
    column that it's in.
    3). Select the column with the data that doesn't have the " in it as
    necessary and the select DATA -> TEXT TO COLUMNS -> DELIMITED -> Select ONLY
    comma delimited and FINISH. Keep in mind that if there will be 8 columns of
    data as you've shown it to us.
    4) For this example, let's say

    A1=101
    B1=1
    C1=The Museum
    D1=Guildhall Square
    E1=Southampton
    F1=Hampshire
    G1=SO24 5BY
    H1=02380 512 6370

    Create a helper column in I1 with "
    Create a helper column in J1 with ","
    In K1, enter the following

    =I1&A1&J1&B1&J1&C1&J1&D1&J1&E1&J1&F1&J1&G1&J1&H1&I1

    When you have what you want, copy and paste the values for column I so that
    you don't lose the data if you delete the preceeding columns.

    Congratulations, you've learned about parsing and concatenation in EXCEL!
    :^D

    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Country Boy
    Guest

    Re: adding formula to existing database

    Bob

    many thanks, it didn't work the first time as I used row 1 in the formula as
    in I1 and forgot that contained the header (doh!) and then found it only
    worked on the first row!! I simply hadn't pasted the " or the "," down to
    cover all the data (doh! again). As soon as I had done that it worked fine.

    I am still trying to find concatenation in the dictionary though!! Do you
    get called a cheat in scrabble?

    Thanks again.

    Kerry

    Country Boy

  3. #3
    Country Boy
    Guest

    Re: adding formula to existing database

    Apologies Barb for putting Bob in my reply.

    I work next to Bob and he was ridiculing me for getting the rows wrong the
    first time and I inadvertently typed his name in my reply thanks. He didn't
    know how to fix it himself though!

    Just so you know what I am attempting, a similar site appears here:
    http://www.spireviews.com/island-map4.php

    We need an XML data sheet that contains, what is now 260 different client
    details (and rising) so they can be used in the Google maps and I dare say it
    would not have been possible without your help.

    Thanks again

    Country Boy

  4. #4
    Barb Reinhardt

  5. #5
    Country Boy

  6. #6
    Country Boy

  7. #7
    Barb Reinhardt

  8. #8
    Country Boy

  9. #9
    Country Boy

  10. #10
    Country Boy
    Guest

    adding formula to existing database

    Hi

    I am trying to get the new Google Maps system up and running on a web site
    and I have been told to prepare the data in the Excel file with inverted
    commas
    as in the example below, which gives customer ID, Category name, address,
    town/city, county, post code and telephone number for the data to be
    converted to XML and then uploaded into Google.

    I have a large Excel file prepared before I was given this advice and to
    individually do this to each entry will be excrutiatingly long and painful.
    Does anyone know of a formula where I can add " " as in the example below. I

  11. #11
    Barb Reinhardt

  12. #12
    Country Boy