How do I calculate the area under the curve using Excel?

  1. #1
    munster909
    Guest

    How do I calculate the area under the curve using Excel?

    Is there a function to calculate the area under the curve? I have tried to
    use the AREAS(ref) function but failed at finding the area. Maybe I used it
    wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: How do I calculate the area under the curve using Excel?

    AREAS returns the number of range areas of the ref.

    To calculate the area under a curve, you can use

    =SUMPRODUCT(A2:A20-A1:A19,(B2:B20+B1:B19)/2)

    Where your x values are in A1:A20, and your Y values are in B1:B20. This is
    an approximate method for finding the area under the curve, summing the area
    of the trapezoids defined by pairs of points (and the points along the x
    axis).

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP