Exporting from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File

  1. #1
    Markus L
    Guest

    Re: Exporting from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File

    "bearie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a way to Export from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File?

    File > Save As... > Save as type: Formatted Text (Space delimited)
    (*.prn)

    Caution:
    - insufficient column width leads to truncated cell content
    - only the active worksheet is saved.
    Make all columns wide enough and you are safe!

  2. #2
    bearie
    Guest

    Re: Exporting from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File

    Markus,

    Thank you so much!!

    We have spent many months looking for this feature. Could not find it in
    Help.

    barb

  3. #3
    bearie
    Guest

    Re: Exporting from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File

    We worked with this a bit, and found it works great to a point.

    We have files that are 1,200 characters that need to be saved as fixed
    length flat files.

    Out only idea here is to find a print driver that will accept really large
    paper (we tried 17X11 and was still not large enough) to make this work.

    Any other ideas?

  4. #4

    Re: Exporting from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File

    Saved from a previous post:

    There's a limit of 240 characters per line when you save as .prn files.

    You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet):

    I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column:

    =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",5),5) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",4),4) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00")

    (You'll have to modify it to match what you want.)

    Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there. Once I figured out that
    ugly formula, I kept it and just unhide that column when I wanted to export the
    data.

    If that doesn't work for you, maybe you could do it with a macro.

    Here's a link that provides a macro:
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=015...280a%40phx.gbl

    =========

  5. #5
    bearie
    Guest

    Exporting from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File

    Is there a way to Export from Excel to a Fixed Length Flat File?

    We are currently creating file in Excel and copying data in Access database.
    Then exporting from Access to a Fixed Length Flat File.

    This is very cumbersome and opens up for error.

    Thank you for your help,
    Barbara J. Miller

  6. #6
    Markus L