Count unique values and create list based on these values

  1. #1
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    Perhaps a bit more detail on what you mean by "a list displaying this
    data" would enable someone to readily give meaningful help.

    Alan Beban

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    Check out Chip Pearson's web site:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm

    Scroll down to the D's and check out all the pages on "Duplicates", where
    you can find exactly what you need.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    vipa2000
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    Thanks for that RagDyer. On the spreadsheet where the data was I inserted a
    column and put the following code ina cell. =IF(COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)=1,A2,"").
    this worked fine. As originally specified I wanted the code to be on a
    separate worksheet, but obviously looking at the data worksheet. i used this
    code =IF(COUNTIF(sheet1!$A$2:A2,A2)=1,A2,""). all it returns is zeros's.
    tried a few things. Any ideas?
    --
    Regards vipa

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    You say it returned zeroes?!?!

    It should have returned *blank* cells ... N0?

    But, then again, I don't know what you have in Column A of the Sheet where
    you've entered this formula.
    Your formula is looking in Sheet1 for the data list, *BUT* looking in the
    sheet containing the formula for *both* the matching criteria *and* the cell
    to be returned.

    Anyway, with all your data in Sheet1, the formula should read:

    =IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$2:A2,Sheet1!A2)=1,Sheet1!A2,"")

  5. #5
    vipa2000
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    RagDyer thank you. Now is there a way for it to count the number of records
    relating to each , it has generated a list with blank in and I was going to
    use the Cpearson code to remove the blanks. Would I be better running the
    blank removal code, to generate a concise list and then putting code in the
    cells adjacent to this list that would use some kind of count function
    example below
    col c

    120260 if cell c1= not null count the columnA on sheet1 looking for values
    =c1 on this worksheet i.e 120260

    --
    Regards vipa

  6. #6
    vipa2000
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    i have just this code to remove blanks in my column. It comes up with a #num!
    error

    =IF(ROW()-ROW(noblanks)+1>ROWS(blanks)-
    COUNTBLANK(blanks),"",INDIRECT(ADDRESS(SMALL(
    (IF(blanks<>"",ROW(blanks),ROW()+ROWS(blanks))),
    ROW()-ROW(noblanks)+1),COLUMN(blanks),4)))

    any ideas?
    --
    Regards vipa

  7. #7
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Count unique values and create list based on these values

    On Sheet2,
    Place the "Extracting" Countif() formula in Column A,
    Place the "Remove Blanks" *array* formula in Column B,
    And the "Counting" Countif() formula in Column C.

    That way, all you have to do is paste new data into Column A of Sheet1, and
    you'll *automatically* get your desired return on Sheet2.

    As far as the trouble you're having with the "Remove Blanks" formula;
    Have you named all your ranges correctly and consistently?
    Have you remembered that the formula is an *array* formula?
    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

  9. #9
    Alan Beban

  10. #10
    RagDyer