How do I place items in alphabetical order in a column and keep da

  1. #1
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I place items in alphabetical order in a column and keep da

    If "Items" are either *all* text, or *all* numbers, and are in Column D,
    from D1:D50, try this *array* formula in a "helper" column:

    =INDEX($D$1:$D$50,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($D$1:$D$50,"<"&$D$1:$D$50),ROW(A1)-ROW
    ($A$1)+1),COUNTIF($D$1:$D$50,"<"&$D$1:$D$50),0))

    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    For dates in Column C, try this also in a "helper" column:

    =SMALL($C$1:$C$50,ROW(A1))

    Make sure the column containing the formula is formatted to Dates.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "Angela33" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do you make a column automatically place items in alphabetical order?
    > Also, how do you make a column automatically put dates in order? Trying

    > create a chart with will help me to monitor my clients progress. Any

    advice

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: How do I place items in alphabetical order in a column and keep da

    With your items (could be dates) in cells A1 to A8:
    Cell B1:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$6<$A1))+1+ROW(A1)/1000
    Cell C1:
    =RANK($B1,$B$1:$B$8,5)
    Cell E1:
    =ROW(A1)-ROW($A$1)+1
    Cell F1:
    =A1
    Cell G1:
    =SUMPRODUCT($E$1:$E$8,--($C$1:$C$8=$E1))
    Cell I1:
    =VLOOKUP($G1,$E$1:$F$8,2)
    Copy B1 to I1 down.
    Columns A, F and I must be formatted according to whether you have dates or
    other type of text.
    Column F contains the ordered list.

  4. #4
    RagDyer