Paste Special

  1. #1
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Paste Special

    Hi

    You can actually copy the column widths, but you have to repaste as Special,
    and then select Column Widths. So you do CtrlC, go to destination, right
    click on Paste Special, select All, click on OK, right click on destination,
    select Paste Special, click on column widths, and then on OK.

    I do not know about row heights though.

  2. #2
    Kingstonsean
    Guest

    RE: Paste Special

    Thanks. Sorta makes you wonder what "All" is for...

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Paste Special

    Could never figure that one out myself! glad I coul have been of assistance

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Paste Special

    That didn't work any differently in older versions. The pastespecial
    columnwidths as a separate option was added in xl2000 as I recall.

    ColumnWidth is an attribute of the entire column. RowHeight is an attribute
    of the entirerow. Since you are not copying the entirecolumn or entirerow,
    that format is not copied.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    rberke
    Guest

    Re: Paste Special

    Don't know if you are interested in vba solution, but if you are, read
    on.

    I had similar problem today. I wrote the following vba macro. It has
    not been well tested, but it worked for me and I hope it helps you.

    You can put into personal.xls.

    I also have a macro in personal.xls which I have assign to ctlr shift
    n.

    Sub askmacro()
    s = Trim(LCase(InputBox("enter macro code")))
    If Right(s, 1) = "s" Then s = Left(s, Len(s) - 1)
    If s = "" Then Exit Sub

    Select Case s
    Case "pastediff": Call PasteSpecialHighlightDifference
    Case "rtrim": Call myRtrimall
    Case "paste45", "ps45": Call PasteHdgs45
    Case "psrowheight": Call PasteSpecialRowHeights

    Case Else
    MsgBox s & "=no such shortcut"
    End
    End Select

    End Sub

    -------------------------------
    Sub PasteSpecialRowHeights()
    ' Excel's EditPasteSpecial allows you to paste column widths, but not
    row heights.
    ' this macro exends that function
    '
    ' to use macro:
    ' 1 format some rows to have your "ideal row heights"
    ' 2 select those full rows and copy them to the clipboard
    ' 3 navigate to the top left cell where you want to paste the row
    heights
    ' 4 call macro.
    ' the destination cells will now have the ideal heights
    ' future enhancement 1: I don't like requiring user to select full
    ' rows before they copy.
    ' this would make it possible for
    PasteSpecialRowHeights and
    ' pastespecialcolumnWidths to both use the same
    clipboard
    ' future enhancement 2: if target rectangle is more than one cell,
    ' restrict paste so only the selected rectangle is pasted
    ' future enhancement 3: bundle together 3 function:
    ' paste data
    ' paste row heights
    ' paste column widths
    '
    ' to test current version quickly add the following steps
    ' select the ideal rows then Insert > Name > Define > "testsrc"
    ' select the top left cell in your target area and Insert > Name >
    Define > "testtgt"
    ' change constant to say "const testmode = true"

    Const testmode = False
    If testmode Then
    Application.Goto ("testsrc")

    Selection.Copy

    Application.Goto ("testtgt")
    End If

    Set tgtsheet = ActiveSheet
    Set tgtsel = Selection
    Set tgtact = ActiveCell

    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add
    newsheetname = ActiveSheet.name

    Set TempSheet = ActiveSheet
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToDown

    Dim c As Long

    For c = 1 To TempSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    tgtsel.Rows(c).RowHeight = TempSheet.Rows(c).RowHeight
    Next c

    chgix = 0

    If chgix = 0 Then
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False