how to spell out number using function in Excel

  1. #1
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: how to spell out number using function in Excel

    Check out

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...numberstowords

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: how to spell out number using function in Excel

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:49:02 -0700, "Beans" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm in need of a function that converts a price amount which will return a
    >spelled out text.

    Download Laurent Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in from http://xcell05.free.fr/
    and use his NBTEXT function.
    --ron

  3. #3
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: how to spell out number using function in Excel

    This file might be a help:
    http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/...s/num2wrds.zip

    It's in the "Accountants" section on page:
    http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm
    It contains the "SPELLNUMBER" function, which can be used in your
    spreadsheets, two methods to convert numbers to words and two cheque
    writing routines.

    The code is open and commented.

    --
    Andy Wiggins FCCA
    www.BygSoftware.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Beans
    Guest

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld

  7. #7
    Andy Wiggins

  8. #8

    Wink Re: how to spell out number using function in Excel

    The best module formula that I have found for Spelling out a number for the use of check-writing is the following:
    'Main Function
    Function SpellNumber(ByVal MyNumber)
    Dim Dollars, Cents, Temp
    Dim DecimalPlace, Count
    Dim originalNumber As Double
    Dim Fraction As Integer
    ReDim Place(9) As String
    Place(2) = " Thousand "
    Place(3) = " Million "
    Place(4) = " Billion "
    Place(5) = " Trillion "
    'save original input
    originalNumber = Val(MyNumber)
    'get decimal portion
    Fraction = Round(originalNumber - Int(originalNumber), 2) * 100
    ' String representation of amount.
    MyNumber = Trim(Str(MyNumber))
    ' Position of decimal place 0 if none.
    DecimalPlace = InStr(MyNumber, ".")
    ' Convert cents and set MyNumber to dollar amount.
    If DecimalPlace > 0 Then

    Cents = GetTens(Left(Mid(MyNumber, DecimalPlace + 1) & _
    "00", 2))
    MyNumber = Trim(Left(MyNumber, DecimalPlace - 1))
    End If
    Count = 1
    Do While MyNumber <> ""
    Temp = GetHundreds(Right(MyNumber, 3))
    If Temp <> "" Then Dollars = Temp & Place(Count) & Dollars
    If Len(MyNumber) > 3 Then
    MyNumber = Left(MyNumber, Len(MyNumber) - 3)
    Else
    MyNumber = ""
    End If
    Count = Count + 1
    Loop
    Select Case Dollars
    Case ""
    Dollars = "zero"
    Case "One"
    Dollars = "One"
    Case Else
    Dollars = Dollars
    End Select
    Select Case Fraction
    Case Is = 0
    Cents = " and 00/100"
    Case Is = 1
    Cents = " and 01/100"
    Case Else
    Cents = " and " & CStr(Fraction) & "/100"
    End Select
    SpellNumber = Dollars & Cents
    End Function

    ' Converts a number from 100-999 into text
    Function GetHundreds(ByVal MyNumber)
    Dim Result As String
    If Val(MyNumber) = 0 Then Exit Function
    MyNumber = Right("000" & MyNumber, 3)
    ' Convert the hundreds place.
    If Mid(MyNumber, 1, 1) <> "0" Then
    Result = GetDigit(Mid(MyNumber, 1, 1)) & " Hundred "
    End If
    ' Convert the tens and ones place.
    If Mid(MyNumber, 2, 1) <> "0" Then
    Result = Result & GetTens(Mid(MyNumber, 2))
    Else
    Result = Result & GetDigit(Mid(MyNumber, 3))
    End If
    GetHundreds = Result
    End Function

    ' Converts a number from 10 to 99 into text.
    Function GetTens(TensText)
    Dim Result As String
    Result = "" ' Null out the temporary function value.
    If Val(Left(TensText, 1)) = 1 Then ' If value between 10-19...
    Select Case Val(TensText)
    Case 10: Result = "Ten"
    Case 11: Result = "Eleven"
    Case 12: Result = "Twelve"
    Case 13: Result = "Thirteen"
    Case 14: Result = "Fourteen"
    Case 15: Result = "Fifteen"
    Case 16: Result = "Sixteen"
    Case 17: Result = "Seventeen"
    Case 18: Result = "Eighteen"
    Case 19: Result = "Nineteen"
    Case Else
    End Select
    Else ' If value between 20-99...
    Select Case Val(Left(TensText, 1))
    Case 2: Result = "Twenty "
    Case 3: Result = "Thirty "
    Case 4: Result = "Forty "
    Case 5: Result = "Fifty "
    Case 6: Result = "Sixty "
    Case 7: Result = "Seventy "
    Case 8: Result = "Eighty "
    Case 9: Result = "Ninety "
    Case Else
    End Select
    Result = Result & GetDigit _
    (Right(TensText, 1)) ' Retrieve ones place.
    End If
    GetTens = Result
    End Function

    ' Converts a number from 1 to 9 into text.
    Function GetDigit(Digit)
    Select Case Val(Digit)
    Case 1: GetDigit = "One"
    Case 2: GetDigit = "Two"