Excel not always summing correctly

  1. #1
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Excel not always summing correctly

    SUM will only sum actual numbers, while the = + + construction will convert any strings that look
    like numbers into numbers prior to adding.

    So, my guess is that one of your "numbers" is actually a string, either entered in a cell that was
    formatted as text, returned as a string from a formula, or entered with a leading single quote.

    You can change the SUM formula to

    =SUM(H3:J3*1)

    entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter, or use

    =SUMPRODUCT(H3:J3*1)