Warning!!!

  1. #1
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: Warning!!!

    Examples?

    Excel is not 100% perfect, but without specific examples I doubt if anyone
    (especially your boss) will take this "Warning" seriously.

    --
    Andy Wiggins FCCA
    www.BygSoftware.com

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wanted to make a general comment about Excel for those of you that use

    the
    > spreadsheet to create journal entries for posting into your financial
    > systems. With all of the concern and new regulations making sure that the
    > financial statements of companies are correct, it seems relevant.
    >
    > I use Excel to summarize daily reporting into a monthly journal entry,
    > actually several of them. I have found cases where the formulas in the

    cells
    > do not calculate the correct results, which would cause the journal entry

    > be incorrect. The formulas range from simple "If" statements to "DSUM"

    and
    > "SUMIF" formulas. I have not been able to find a solution to the problem
    > within my spreadsheets. The only explanation I can come up with is that
    > Excel is not working correctly.
    >
    > I take pride in my work and eliminate as much "human error" as I can. But
    > when I am using a spreadsheet that cannot produce accurate results, it
    > becomes a reflection on me, not on the software I am using. I don't think
    > there are many bosses out there that will accept the fact that software

    with
    > the Microsoft name on it will not work correctly.
    >
    > If this problem is actually within Excel itself, then it seems to me that
    > Microsoft had better get its act together and clean up this software--and
    > quick. I wonder how Microsoft would like to have a company sue because

    they
    > produced inaccurate financials due to the fact that this spreadsheet

    software

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Warning!!!

    <I have found cases where the formulas in the cells do not calculate the
    correct results>

    That is rather vague. Can you give examples?
    Please give the cell addresses, the contents, the formulas, their location,
    the expected result and what you got instead, the settings in
    Tools>Options>Calculation and any User Defined Functions.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Warning!!!

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Warning!!!

    Sorry about this one

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Warning!!!

    Paul wrote...
    >I use Excel to summarize daily reporting into a monthly journal entry,
    >actually several of them. I have found cases where the formulas in the cells
    >do not calculate the correct results, which would cause the journal entry to
    >be incorrect. The formulas range from simple "If" statements to "DSUM" and
    >"SUMIF" formulas. I have not been able to find a solution to the problem
    >within my spreadsheets. The only explanation I can come up with is that
    >Excel is not working correctly.

    Despite what you may believe, the odds are that any incorrect results
    in your spreadsheets are the result of your own errors rather than
    errors in Excel's internal functionality. There are exceptions, e.g.,
    many of Excel's stats functions produce poor results for extreme (and
    sometimes not so extreme) values, but for the most part Excel produces
    the results it should given the restrictions on numeric precision.

    If you're having problems with IF, SUMIF and DSUM, the problem is
    likely either due to boolean comparison semantics you've misunderstood
    or you have formulas that haven't been but need to be entered as array
    formulas.

    Without details it's impossible to diagnose your problem formulas.

  6. #6
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: Warning!!!

    Paul,
    It sound like you need to ALWAYS wrap the Round() function around all your
    DSums and IF statements.
    HTH,
    --
    Gary Brown