Sort & add columns without messing up formulas

  1. #1
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Sort & add columns without messing up formulas

    Of course changes are possible.........almost anything can be done in Excel,
    one way or another. As for specific advice, we really can't do that with
    the information you've provided so far. If you would like to post back
    (no attachments please) with an example of a formula that is being "messed
    up" by the sorting, maybe we can help.......on the other hand, sometimes you
    can just add a new column with sequential numbers in it that will represent
    the present configuration of the data so all can be returned to normal by
    just sorting on that new column after other sorts for analysis.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "kate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > We hired a private party to do a cost study for us and the worksheet is

    over
    > 1700 pages long. We need to be able to add a column for customer names

    and
    > sort data by those customer names or by part number, etc. However, we

    cannot
    > do any of that as it then throws everything off. Is it possible for us

    > make changes to how the sheet was set up so that we can sort data and

    insert

  2. #2
    kate
    Guest

    Re: Sort & add columns without messing up formulas

    Thank you for responding!

    This is one of the formulas: =SUM($AH15:$AI15)

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Sort & add columns without messing up formulas

    Hi Kate,
    I'm afraid you've simply given a formula without any context or any
    sense of what the problem is.

    Without a clear description of the problem, we can only guess at
    what the problem might be.

    Perhaps if you go to my page on sorting, you will get a bit more
    insight on sorting.

    Before sorting you probably want to select
    all of the columns as the primary failure in sorting properly is to
    sort a column independently of data that belongs with that column.

    The second biggest mistake is actually very similar and that is
    allowing Excel to expand a single cell selection to the current
    region not realizing that the current region stops at an empty
    column and an empty row, so again you would sort data
    and not carry all of the intended columns with your sort.

    As for your formula =AH15 + AI15 is a bit shorter, but
    the SUM formula will skip over cells with text and cells with
    errors. A cell with a space is not an empty cell it has text
    in it and frequently denotes an invalid attempt at clearing a cell..
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    kate
    Guest

    Sort & add columns without messing up formulas

    We hired a private party to do a cost study for us and the worksheet is over
    1700 pages long. We need to be able to add a column for customer names and
    sort data by those customer names or by part number, etc. However, we cannot
    do any of that as it then throws everything off. Is it possible for us to

  5. #5
    CLR

  6. #6
    kate