How to print the column # where the max row value is located?

  1. #1
    Sam
    Guest

    How to print the column # where the max row value is located?

    Hello,

    I have a row with 100 numbers in it. This row starts in column C and ends
    in column CX. I am printing the Maximum number in this row in column B. How
    can I print the number of a column that contains this maximum. In other
    words, if the maximum occurs in column D, I would like to print 2 in column A.

    Thank you very much!

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How to print the column # where the max row value is located?

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 07:48:01 -0700, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a row with 100 numbers in it. This row starts in column C and ends
    >in column CX. I am printing the Maximum number in this row in column B. How
    >can I print the number of a column that contains this maximum. In other
    >words, if the maximum occurs in column D, I would like to print 2 in column A.
    >
    >Thank you very much!

    Look at the MATCH function:

    =MATCH(MAX(2:2),2:2,0)

    )
    --ron

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How to print the column # where the max row value is located?

    You're confusing the issue here when you say that you're entering the
    maximum number in Column B, and you want to find which column in the row
    contains this maximum number.

    If it's really the maximum number, why do you have to enter it in B to look
    it up?
    You could simply use this in A2:

    =MATCH(MAX(C2:CX2),C2:CX2,0)

    If, on the other hand, you're looking for a specific number, which might
    *not* be the actual largest number in the row, then you could enter that
    number in B2, and this formula in A2:

    =MATCH(B2,C2:CX2,0)
    --

    HTH,