Calculate time difference to the half hour

  1. #1
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Calculate time difference to the half hour

    try this
    =ROUND(A1/TIME(0,30,0),0)*TIME(0,30,0)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    "Ken Ivins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am creating an employee time sheet that the put in their starting time

    and
    > ending time (From a drop down list). I would like Excel to calculate the
    > amount of time showing full and if need be a half hour. My problem is that
    > the results half only been in full hours. Such as 9 am to 5 pm comes out

    as

  3. #3
    Ken Ivins
    Guest

    Re: Calculate time difference to the half hour

    Don,

    Thanks for your help. I tried this a few different ways with out getting
    the results I'm looking for. Any other ideas?

    Ken

    news:eTalG%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Ivins
    Guest

    Re: Calculate time difference to the half hour

    Okay, This seemed to work.

    =((TEXT(F10-E10,"h:mm"))-INT(TEXT(F10-E10,"h:mm")))*24

    Anyone see a problem with this?

    Thanks,
    Ken

  5. #5
    Tim C
    Guest

    Re: Calculate time difference to the half hour

    Ken,

    It's unclear what format you want the result to be in.

    Try:

    =INT((F10-E10)*48)/2

    and format as a number, or

    =INT((F10-E10)*48)/48

    and format as time.

    Tim C

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:46:09 -0500, "Ken Ivins" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am creating an employee time sheet that the put in their starting time and
    >ending time (From a drop down list). I would like Excel to calculate the
    >amount of time showing full and if need be a half hour. My problem is that
    >the results half only been in full hours. Such as 9 am to 5 pm comes out as
    >8 hours. But also 9 am to 4:30 pm also comes out as 7 hours instead of 7.5
    >hours.
    >
    >I have tried three types of formulas with the same result:
    >
    > =TEXT(F11-E11,"h")
    >
    > =(INT(F10-E10*24))
    >
    > =hour(f10-E10)
    >
    >Any ideas on getting the results I need?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ken

    Assumption is that your times are entered as Excel times; eg. 9 AM; 4:30 PM;
    etc.

    If you wish to round to the nearest 30 minutes, then:

    =ROUND((EndTime-StartTime)/TIME(0,30,0),0)*TIME(0,30,0)

    If you wish to round up to the next 30 minutes, so that 7:01 --> 7:30, then

    =CEILING(EndTime-StartTime,TIME(0,30,0))

    and format as [h]:mm.

    If you wish to convert either of the above to decimal numbers, then multiply
    the result by 24:

    =24 * ROUND((EndTime-StartTime)/TIME(0,30,0),0)*TIME(0,30,0)

    or

    =24 * CEILING(EndTime-StartTime,TIME(0,30,0))

    --ron

  7. #7
    infoman
    Guest

    Re: Calculate time difference to the half hour

    > Ken Ivinswrote:

    > Okay, This seemed to work.
    >
    > Anyone see a problem with this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ken

    Yes. Ask 1 question. 2 questions. Ask 10 questions. But you need so
    much help that you set up email accounts for each forum where you
    post ask questions so that you can keep it all straight.

    You run a business http://www.kivins.com charging people for the free
    help you get here. How about paying us? Why don't you learn it
    yourself the way we had to? I went to school, put in time, paid money
    to learn.

    We all give help to each other, but you just take. From us, from your
    customers.

  8. #8
    infoman

  9. #9