Consecutive Numbers down a column not to Exceed 49

  1. #1
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Consecutive Numbers down a column not to Exceed 49

    Nelson wrote...
    >I have 6 columns across going 40 rows down. I'm entering random numbers in
    >row 1 across columns A to F. The numbers have to stay in a range from 1 to
    >49 but are totally random in row 1. From rows 2 through 40 I want the
    >numbers to automatically fill down consecutively but not to exceed 49. When
    >a certain column hits 49 I want that column to start over at 1 again.

    One more option. With a random integer from 1 to 49 in A1, use the
    following formula in A2.

    =MOD(A1,49)+1

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Consecutive Numbers down a column not to Exceed 49

    Nelson,

    Instead of
    =A1+1

    Use

    =IF(A1+1=50,1,A1+1)

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mangus Pyke

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:19:08 -0700, Nelson wrote:
    >I have 6 columns across going 40 rows down. I'm entering random numbers in
    >row 1 across columns A to F. The numbers have to stay in a range from 1 to
    >49 but are totally random in row 1. From rows 2 through 40 I want the
    >numbers to automatically fill down consecutively but not to exceed 49. When
    >a certain column hits 49 I want that column to start over at 1 again.

    Put this in A2, drag across through F2, and then drag down as far as
    you need:

    =IF(A1=49,1,A1+1)

    This will check to see if the previous number was 49, if this is true,
    it will put "1", otherwise, it will add 1 to the previous number.

    MP-

    --
    "Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
    B.F. Skinner

  4. #4
    Mangus Pyke

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:33:04 -0700, Nelson wrote:
    >WOW that was quick!!!
    >Thanks a bunch guys!!!
    >All 3 of these formulas worked like a charm.

    Mine was definitely better than those others..

    MP-

  5. #5
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Consecutive Numbers down a column not to Exceed 49

    On cell A2 type
    =A1*(A1<49)+1
    and fill all the way down and across

  6. #6
    Nelson
    Guest

    Re: Consecutive Numbers down a column not to Exceed 49

    WOW that was quick!!!
    Thanks a bunch guys!!!
    All 3 of these formulas worked like a charm.

    Thanks Again
    Nelson

  7. #7
    Bernie Deitrick