How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Lisa M
    Guest

    How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

    Depends on what information you start with...

    Take a look at the RATE() function in XL Help.

    In article <[email protected]>,

  3. #3
    Lisa M
    Guest

    Re: How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

    I tried that but it didn't work. Thanks!!!! I need to calculate for
    mortgages. Any other sugestions?
    Lisa M

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

    How could anyone know what to suggest when you don't tell what
    information you have available?

    RATE() certainly can "calculate for mortgages". What does "it didn't
    work" mean? Did you get the wrong answer? no answer? an error? a crash?

    Nobody can see your worksheet (and please don't post it). Instead you
    need to actually describe how your data is laid out, what you've tried,
    and what hasn't worked.

  5. #5
    Lisa M
    Guest

    Re: How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

    Hope this info helps. It's kind of hard to type it and I wouldn't think it
    be a good idea to post it. I can use a HP Financial Calculator to get the
    number I need but I would rather have it on the spreadsheet that I am using.
    I need to calculate an APR with Fees included. I tried the =Rate(TERM, -PMT,
    $ AMT)*12 and it gave me the actually rate of interest charged. That is not
    what I need. The APR is greater than the interest rate charged because it
    takes the original loan amt plus certain fees charged. An example: loan
    amount of $56,000 at rate of 5.75% for 30 yrs with a P&I pmt of $326.80 and
    fees of $361.22. If I plug the numbers into my HP, it calcs an APR of
    5.810%. I would like to have the speadsheet do the calculation that my HP
    calculator does. I have in the spreadsheet the loan amount, int rate, pmt
    and fees. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks for all of your help. I hope that I gave you better info than before.
    Lisa M

  6. #6
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: How do I caluclate an Annual Percentage Rate in Excel?

    =RATE(360,PMT(5.75%/12,360,56000),56000-361.22)*12
    gives me 5.81%

    news:[email protected]...