Using INDIRECT to refer to different workbooks

  1. #1
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Using INDIRECT to refer to different workbooks

    Hi,

    Try

    =INDIRECT("'[temp.xls]125'!"&"A1")

    Replace the 'temp.xls' with the file name you need and replace the cell
    A1 with the cell you need.

    Note that Indirect works only when the source workbook is open.

    Govind.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Using INDIRECT to refer to different workbooks

    Hi!

    You don't need to use Indirect unless you are using other cells to hold
    references to the other workbook.

    For example:

    You want to return the value of cell A1 on Sheet!125 in workbook file_name.

    You might do something like this:

    A1 = file_name
    B1 = 125

    =INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]"&B1&"'!A1")

    OR

    =INDIRECT("'[file_name.xls]"&B1&"'!A1")

    If you don't have references to the other wb in other cells, you could just
    use this:

    ='[file_name.xls]125'!$A$1

    The above can be used whether the other file is open or not. If it was
    closed, you'd have to include the full path in the formula:

    ='C:\path\[file_name.xls]125'!$A$1

    The big disadvantage to Indirect is that it requires the other file be open.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Cobler
    Guest

    Re: Using INDIRECT to refer to different workbooks

    Thank you. Your example =INDIRECT("'[file_name.xls]"&B1&"'!A1") works just
    fine.

    I have two separate workbooks. I am making a matrix which will always refer
    to the other workbook (so the first part of the address is fixed), but each
    line of the matrix will refer to the same cell location in a number of
    identical worksheets. Your answer gives me what I was looking for. Thanks
    again.

  4. #4
    Govind

  5. #5