Input cell reference is not valid (One Variable Data Table)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Dottore
    Guest

    Input cell reference is not valid (One Variable Data Table)

    At Debra's suggestion I am posting my message a second time with a bit more
    detail :

    I have put together a financial budget for 15 years and I now wish to
    calculate the incidence of the change in the debt ratio on the ROE (Return on
    Equity) of the project.

    The debt ratio is a value given in one cell (C47) on Sheet 1 for the first
    year and this same value is than copied to the other 14 years to the right

    The ROE of the project is calculated in Sheet 2 after going through a series
    of formulas in between, which calculate the cash flows of the project over
    the 15 years

    In Sheet 3 I put the input cell in F5 with the following formula =
    Sheet1!C47 to indicate this is the cell I want to change to see the effect on
    the ROE

    I put the various debt ratios in a column in Sheet 3 (B3:B10) and copy the
    formula for the ROE in cell C2 referring to the proper range of cash flows in
    sheet 2

    Now selecting the cell range B2:C10 and click data table referring to cell
    F5 on the same sheet 3 as the column input cell should spill out in C3:C10
    the different ROEs under the B3:B10 scenarios ...

    For reasons I can't fathom I get all the same values in cell C3:C10 which is
    the correct value of the ROE but only if the debt ratio is set at the value
    in cell C47 on Sheet 1. If I try to put Sheet1!C47 as the input cell in the
    Data Table command, I get an Input cell reference is not valid message
    displayed.

    What am I doing wrong ??? (Calculation is of course set to Automatic)

    Appreciate

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Input cell reference is not valid (One Variable Data Table)

    "Dottore" wrote:
    > .. If I try to put Sheet1!C47 as the input cell in the
    > Data Table command, I get an Input cell reference
    > is not valid message displayed.

    Believe this is a limitation of the Data Table, which seems to require the
    row / column input cells to be on the same sheet as the table

    Experiment on a spare copy of your file. Try cut and paste C47 from Sheet1
    to somewhere on Sheet 3 where you have the data table set-up (e.g.: cut C47
    from Sheet1 and paste into say, Sheet3's E1). Then try the Data > Table
    command again on B2:C10, pointing now to E1 as the column input cell.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Max

  4. #4
    Max

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Input cell reference is not valid (One Variable Data Table)

    Apologies, pl disregard the earlier views. Think you've covered that point
    in your post. Perhaps what you need is a 2 variable Data Table set-up ? I'm
    just guessing here ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Dottore
    Guest

    Re: Input cell reference is not valid (One Variable Data Table)

    Thanks Max for looking at the pbm

    Your first suggestion would not work as in this case you put a fixed value
    in Sheet3 E1 and the function would not know which value in the earlier
    formulas to replace. This is why I refer to Sheet1!C47 in cell F5 on Sheet3
    through a formula.

    As I am looking at the incidence of only one variable (the debt ration in my
    example) I believe a one variable data table should do the trick

    I am sure the solution must be frustratingly simple but I just can't put my
    finger on the problem ...

    Dottore

  7. #7
    Dottore