Getting Yahoo Stock Quotes by a USer Defined Function

  1. #1
    MS Office
    Guest

    Getting Yahoo Stock Quotes by a USer Defined Function

    Hi,
    Is there a user defined function in excel which can get the share quotes
    over the internet from Yahoo Finance website?
    Thanks
    Mukesh

  2. #2
    Conrad Carlberg
    Guest

    Re: Getting Yahoo Stock Quotes by a USer Defined Function

    Someone has almost certainly written a UDF that does that. But I find it
    much simpler to use a sub rather than a UDF, along these lines:

    1. I've established an external data range with a query of the website
    2. I call, once only, a subroutine named PickUpData that includes this
    statement:

    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("QuerySheet").QueryTables(1).Refresh
    BackgroundQuery:=False

    and later on in that sub, I call this sub:

    Sub DoItAgain()
    Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:59:00"), "PickUpData"
    End Sub

    In this way, I can just walk away and let Excel refresh the external data
    range, in turn refresh a pivot table based on that range, save the workbook
    and thus the pivot table, and wait almost another hour before it Does It
    Again -- that is, before it calls PickUpData and brings new data into the
    external data range. There's almost surely a more elegant method, but this
    was quick and dirty and it works for me.

    --
    C^2
    Conrad Carlberg

    Excel Sales Forecasting for Dummies, Wiley, 2005

    news:[email protected]...