Translate WEEKNUM result into a date

  1. #1
    Wil
    Guest

    Translate WEEKNUM result into a date

    I would like to know how to convert/translate the numeric value that WEEKNUM
    returns into a date format. What is the best way to do this?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil
    I would like to know how to convert/translate the numeric value that WEEKNUM
    returns into a date format. What is the best way to do this?
    Hi Wil

    Might be missing something here but WEEKNUM converts the date to the week number, therefore you already have the date
    Paul

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Translate WEEKNUM result into a date

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:25:02 -0700, Wil <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would like to know how to convert/translate the numeric value that WEEKNUM
    >returns into a date format. What is the best way to do this?

    If you change the numeric value returned by WEEKNUM to a date format, you will
    display a date in the year 1900 or 1904.

    To convert that value, merely select Format/Cells/Number Date (and choose one
    of those options). Or use the formula =TEXT(wn,"dd-mmm-yyyy") or some other
    format.

    Maybe you mean something else?

    For example, perhaps you mean "what date does a weeknum of 'numeric_value'
    represent"?

    If that is the case, then you have to specify both the year, as well as which
    day of the week you want returned. Weeknum considers Jan 1 as being the first
    day of Week 1; and the next Sunday (or Monday) as being the first day of week
    2.

    Once you specify your parameters, performing the conversion is simply a matter
    of adding 7*wn to Jan 1 of the relevant year, and then adjusting for the day of
    the week you wish to return; as well as whether or not Week 1 is a partial week
    or a full week.

    --ron