IF Command conditional formating

  1. #1

    IF Command conditional formating

    I am creating a interactive calander for appointment scheduling.

    The last three days of the month vary depending on month, I have used a combination of two date commands to forcast the next month. I use the =TODAY() command to get the current month, then use the =DATE(YEAR(cell),MONTH(cell)+1,1) refence the TODAY command to forcast the next month.

    What I want, is to make the 29th, 30th & 31st conditionally formated. I know I know how to do conditional formating for the cell givin a certian value, but I don't know how to bring data from outside the cell to meet the formating I want.

    For instance, I would like to have an IF command that gives the value of 29 for the months that contain the 29th day, and like wise for the other days of other months.

    Once I know how to retrieve the data I want, I already know how to format the cell.

    The help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: IF Command conditional formating

    IDCrewDawg,

    If cell has a valid date

    For the conditional formatting use:
    =MONTH($column of cell$row of cell)=MONTH(currentCell)

    For the IF formula, use
    =IF(MONTH($cell$)=MONTH(cell above currentCell +1),cell above currentCell +1,"")

    formatted as dd.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick

  6. #6
    Bernie Deitrick

  7. #7
    Bernie Deitrick

  8. #8
    Bernie Deitrick

  9. #9
    Bernie Deitrick

  10. #10
    Bernie Deitrick

  11. #11
    Bernie Deitrick

  12. #12
    Bernie Deitrick

  13. #13
    Bernie Deitrick

  14. #14
    Ok, thats just a tad confusing. Pretend I don't know much about excel, cause I don't.

    So here is what I have.

    I use the =TODAY() command in cell B25 to get the current month. Then I use =DATE(YEAR(B25),MONTH(B25)+1,1) to give me the next comming month, in this instance it appears as October.

    This appears in cell B34. Now the day of the month 29 appears in cell O35. So what I would like is to reference cell B34 to make the value 29 appear in cell O35 when months containing 29 days come up. The month 02 is the only one that doesnt, so a false command could be used referencing the 2nd month. But I don't know how to do that. Conversly, if I have a month that has only 30 days, I would use a true command, for the months Apr Jun and Sep, to make the value 30 come up, and then something like that again for 31 for those months that have 31.

    I just don't know how to do the true false command referenceing a different cell, resulting in a given value.

    If thats too confusing let me know. I will try and elaborate.

    Help is appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Deitrick

  15. #15
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: IF Command conditional formating

    IDCrewDawg,

    How about this? In O35, enter the formula

    =IF(MONTH(DATE(YEAR($B$25),MONTH($B$25)+1,ROW()-6))=MONTH($B$34),DATE(YEAR($B$25),MONTH($B$25)+1,ROW()-6),"")

    all on one row (your newsreader may wrap the text)
    and copy to O7:O37 (I'm assuming your month's dates are all in a column)

  17. #17
    Bernie Deitrick

  18. #18
    Bernie,

    I don't see anything that looks like your email adress.

    Mine is

    randall dot rogers at spangdahlem dot af dot mil

    of course you will have to replace the dot with . and remove the spaces.

  19. #19
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: IF Command conditional formating