Use functions when cells are merged

  1. #1
    Amanda
    Guest

    Use functions when cells are merged

    I have a worksheet with data on the first tab. Cells C2, C3, C4 and C5 are
    merged cells and cells E2, E3, E4 and E5 are NOT merged but coinside with the
    other cells in the respective rows. Then the next 4 cells are merged in
    column C and they again go with column E which is never merged. I am trying
    to get a count of items in Column E that have "Absent" in the column AND
    Column C has "Allen". If I un-merge the cells then the data only goes into
    the first cell and the others are left blank. I want it to assume that if
    the cells are merged then all merged cells contain that data.
    Please help! I worked on this for several hours.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Use functions when cells are merged

    Most of us have been bit by the merged cell problems at one time or another
    your best bet is to use a helper column where you make the cells = the value
    you want to compare.
    if it is always 4 cells and they are always adjacent it wont be hard to do
    =c2 in four cells and then copy these four down as far as you need.

    if the number of cells merged is not constant or if there isodd spacing it
    becomes much more difficult

  3. #3
    Amanda
    Guest

    RE: Use functions when cells are merged

    they are not always the same number of merged cells. I am importing the data
    from another program so it automatically merges those cells. I appreciate
    the help and if you know of another way that would also be appreciated. I
    can get the calculations to work but only by the first cell in Column E that
    relates to the merged group and then it goes down to the next group. It
    doesn't look at the next cell in column E that relates to Column C

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Use functions when cells are merged

    one way to do it is to use the helper column (H?)
    merged cells in columnA?

    in the first row with merged Cells (2?)
    in H2enter
    = A2
    in H3 enter
    =if(A3="",H3,A3)
    and copy down to the bottom of your data
    use this column as your name column.