finding name within range

  1. #1
    sheila
    Guest

    finding name within range

    have had kind of help with this before but i need more.

    i have a name that i wish to find if it is within range (range name =
    "Names"). If that name (say George) is within that range, then I wish
    that name to be entered into the cell with the formula. if "George"
    isnt within that name, then I wish to search for "Harry" to see if
    that is within the range and if so, then "Harry" to be entered into
    the cell with the formula.

    any help out there?

    TIA
    sheila

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: finding name within range

    Hi Sheila
    Try
    =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("George",Names)),"George",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Harry",Names)),"Harry","
    Not Found"))

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Sheila
    Guest

    Re: finding name within range

    no, that doesnt work, gives me "Not Found" when "George" is within the
    range.

    any other ideas?

    TIA

  4. #4

    Re: finding name within range

    =if(countif(names,"George")>0,"George",
    if(countif(names,"Harry")>0,"Harry","not there"))

    (all one cell)

    may work.

  5. #5
    sheila
    Guest

    Re: finding name within range

    That does it, thanks Dave, appreciate it.

    Sheila